Time to schedule a Boston climb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good climb! We missed OTG, a snafu took him out of the picture. Mihalek had to deal with flooding, Also Nitwit Dolt had to clean up some downed trees with all the wind after the big rain storm went through. I think I saw one of his client's trees on the ground (on the news). Looking forward to making the dolt connection next time. Which reminds me, since Oldirty, Dolt and Terry are northshore climbers, maybe they can host a climb up that way, BARC needs a field trip to get us out of the dirty bean (aka Boston)!

Photos here

BARC!
2324006617_d675368ed1.jpg

Oldirty goes into outer space
2323697501_1595624919.jpg

Terry leads the way up
2324578536_59b96d9ffc.jpg

Ted on the move
2324604272_79acb31549.jpg

Some good traverse action between trees. Apparently Mr. Dirt got some audio of me talking dirty hanging out in space between an oak and a beech, what can I say, tight hitches and slipped Pantins are inspiring. Does that mean I'm now smuttyMoss? So much for the squeaky clean image.

The wind was crankin'! Some good gusts blowing us around. Great climbers to hang out with, always something learned.
-moss

Last edited:
Glad to see your out . Hope all is well and I am looking forward to comming down for at least one climb this summer. :cheers:

windy mindy...

great pics moss. thanks again for a cool day out. let's do it again soon. just say the word and i'm there. from what i can remember, you are owed a beer as well. regards to ted and i guess dirty, but seeing as though we see each other bright and early every morning, regards are over doing it a bit.
hope you feel better otg. i've heard 9 or 10 pints of guiness will give you one hell of a food allergy.
stay safe y'all.

Last edited:
Guy almost kicks the bucket, and you all give him s#!t, Nice.....

sorry dude but "food allergy" on a sunday morning will always make me think "hungover".

almost wish that was the case on this one though. glad to hear he made it out alive.......

sorry dude but "food allergy" on a sunday morning will always make me think "hungover".

almost wish that was the case on this one though. glad to hear he made it out alive.......

I'm relieved, at least we don't have to fight DonnyO over OTG's gear, the guy's a freakin' animal! Which reminds me... Do you need a prescription to get an Epi-pen? Seems like a good thing to have in the first aid kit in case someone gets an extreme reaction to bee stings in the tree or to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on break.

Welcome back OTG!
-moss

Last edited:
Sorry I missed out!

O.k. time for the North Shore to stand up. Got a spot in mind. Nothing like those Fagus, but good view and many different opurtunities. Just need to check on the details but looks like a pro & newbie situation. Maybe before things get crazy.

O.k. time for the North Shore to stand up. Got a spot in mind. Nothing like those Fagus, but good view and many different opurtunities. Just need to check on the details but looks like a pro & newbie situation. Maybe before things get crazy.

Sounds good, let me know if you want to strategize a little.
-moss

... Do you need a prescription to get an Epi-pen? Seems like a good thing to have in the first aid kit in case someone gets an extreme reaction to bee stings in the tree or to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on break.

Welcome back OTG!
-moss

Thanks guys, I feel fine except for the fact that someting I ate could have cashed me in. I always imagined I'd go out with a dull thud;)

you do need a script for an epi pen, 25$ and you can't keep them in a vehicle or expose to extreme heat or cold....:dizzy:

When you guys go for rec climbs, where do you go? I mean are there parks designated for this or areas that certain trees are available to climb? If not, and you go anywhere at random, I have at least one great place.

OTG,

My in-laws live in Mashpee. I think there are some 25 foot red oaks in their yard, but the biggest limbs are ~3 inches.

Seriously, if anyone knows about some big trees down there, I think it would be an awesome place to climb.

I could tell you guys a number of places with tall trees but do you need special permission for instance to climb in a town park or in the National Seashore Federal park? The trees are there and no signs to say no but is it legal to do?

The place I was mentioning ion the north shore is the Ipswich River Audubon sanctuary. There are some HUGE trees in there that, as a kid, I used to climb freestayle all the time. Real tall. And its way out in the woods so its beautiful. Huge oaks and maples all around.

It's funny.

I know I said I'd find a place before things got busy. I finally did it. This weekend is MAYER'S arborist day party. Anybody want to do the Sat. morning climb, then hit the party in the afternoon, let me Know.

I could tell you guys a number of places with tall trees but do you need special permission for instance to climb in a town park or in the National Seashore Federal park? The trees are there and no signs to say no but is it legal to do?

The place I was mentioning ion the north shore is the Ipswich River Audubon sanctuary. There are some HUGE trees in there that, as a kid, I used to climb freestayle all the time. Real tall. And its way out in the woods so its beautiful. Huge oaks and maples all around.

You'll need permission to climb in a Mass. Audubon Sanctuary. Likely they won't grant it unless you present your own personal liability insurance, sign a waiver, demonstrate that you are a safe climber and demonstrate that your technique does zero damage to trees or surrounding ecosystems. National Parks? Fahgetaboutit! State parks? I climb in state parks in a low profile sort of way and have no problems but I suspect sooner or later Mass. DCR is going to have to come out and state a policy about rec tree climbing on state land. Climb away from trails, it would be a big mistake to accidentally kick deadwood on to someone's head walking on a trail. Also you don't want to be draping ropes in the path of mountain bikers. When you climb on public land absolutely do not carry a hand saw into the tree unless you've specifically been given permission to do so. That's the fastest way to get rec climbing banned on public lands. Climb wild trees and leave them the way they are, you can't project your ideas about how trees should be maintained on public woodlands. If a tree has too many hazards for your comfort level don't climb it. The general idea about climbing on public land is don't make a nuisance of yourself and you have a better chance for success.
-moss

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back