Timothy Hill House

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I saw this little house a number of years ago, when the restoration was first getting started. I think this is what I'm going to build on my farm, just a little bigger. This house is 17'X16' with a pretty big second floor. I'm going to shoot for 20'X30'. Has anyone seen any plank houses like this one? If you Google Plank Houses, most of what you get are the big Native "Halls" in the Pacific North West. Can't find much on these East Coast homes. What I did find is they are of Scandinavian origin, the planks are "Pit Sawn". Not as heavy as full logs. My concern would be load carrying ability? I'm going to go back and take lots more pictures. See what he did for floor joists, wall support inside. Would like to build mine close to the way this one is made. I have several White Oaks that went down in storms last year, in the 30" plus range, so I should have enough to build the cabin with out having to take down any. I hate to loose my big White Oaks. I always wanted to name my farm "Twin Oaks" because of the two big ones in front of my trailer, Joe.

If you Google Timothy Hill House you will get most of the known history and more pictures. One cool thing is there are a bunch of hand carvings of tall ships around the planks on the outside. One thought is that a child carved them. The house originally sat on the ground, not the brick piers it's on now, and the carvings are on the lower planks, Joe.

Back