Tips on moving large Logs???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so here's me thinking thats a lovely bit of kit!
the last couple of logs i collected = 6 tns & 12 tns (metric) both oak
i won't even hazard a guess at lbs!
got these home with the help of a friend with a teleporter.
20150316_111723.jpg

Go with MJR's suggestion to quarter the log with a chain saw. You need to get the big log down to a weight that you can safely move on the road-- or find a friend with the right equipment. Even if you can load the 60" log on a trailer and pull it, stopping can be problematic, unless you're set up with electric trailer brakes. I use a chain saw powered Lewis winch to load the big stuff, and it has never let me down!

You can move a 60" relativly easily, block tackle/log tripod.... then onto a 10-15k trailer...The question is what are you going to do with it once its moved?? Most mills will be to small. If you are going to mill it yourself why not do it where its at? Or maybe just whack it up into more manageable slabs???

G Vavra

I spend the winters collecting logs and when I have enough to keep the miller busy for a day or so I give him a call. I try and slab enough timber to cover my orders for the following 6 to 8 months. The next stop is into the kiln for the furniture timber and the balance goes into the drying shed until needed.

You can move a 60" relativly easily, block tackle/log tripod.... then onto a 10-15k trailer...The question is what are you going to do with it once its moved?? Most mills will be to small. If you are going to mill it yourself why not do it where its at? Or maybe just whack it up into more manageable slabs???

G Vavra

Whack it up into slabs on-site and then haul a few away at a time with my Toyota is usually my plan...

Dave Boyt: Do you know a kiln around our parts that will take small/odd sized stuff? I've got some big stuff coming along and am building a new house this fall (hopefully - if the finances work out). Wife wants a big table and I need to get some of this stuff dried enough to build with.

I spent yesterday milling my logs, we used a Log Logic portable bandmill and ended up with an abundance of oak planks with lovely grain. 1" and 2" for furniture and 7" for turning20150521_101357.jpg 20150521_103231.jpg 20150521_194319.jpg

Latest posts

Back