To paint or not to paint?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a very good paint to match the stihl orange for the older metal saws. It's mopar hemi orange, issued by mopar. It's available at summitt racing down the road from me and has good resistance to mix, simple green, etc..
For the white I use an epoxy paint that holds up allright.

I like how the gas tank on the 066 was left unpainted for the see through, I just painted my 046 handle all white, It was too yellow to save I'm afraid, plus had to cover up some JB weld patches.

As the old saying go's, "If it's dirty your abusin' it, and if it's too clean you ain't usin' it"... or somthing like that lol

Some saws you paint and some you don't. There some old saws that
need a resto to save them from rotting away.

Befor resto.
attachment.php

After.
attachment.php

Befor resto.
attachment.php

After.
attachment.php

What does everybody do on their saw restorations?
Painting a saw can really make it look like a million bucks, but after all, it is a chainsaw so it's gonna get scratched up some.

Pros:
You have a new looking saw that just looks better.

Cons:
If you paint one part on the saw it will look funny if you don't paint the rest of the saw.
Somtimes paint colors will not match.
Paint doesn't agree with chemicals, gas, cleaners, etc, and you really end up with a mess, even after it has cured.
Saw doesn't have nastalgia look anymore.
It will end up looking like a used saw in a couple years anyway.

I usually end up painting my saws, To me the look of a clean saw outweighs the cons most of the time, kind of a sense of pride with the equipment your working with.

Damn you.

Started painting a saw tonight.

I hate you!

See you at the GTG

CT

There is a full years cutting on this one since a paintjob.

IMG_3273.JPG

This is my $100. Stihl 066, had it for 2 years now and it doesn`t owe me a thing.

Pioneerguy600

Is that air filter org to 066?

If so I sure didn't know the 066 ever had what I call the 064 flat air filter.
I know it is a 066 by the crank case, just never seen that filter on 066,
Now I see a de-comp, so is it a parts saw?

Looks good no matter!

TT

Them restored saws look great!

My personal preference is original, like they say in the old car world;, "they're only original once"

I remember when I first met my Wife's Dad, He is known throughout the world as the foremost Cushman expert.

He had a sort of museum on the upper level of his shop, old quarter midgets Cushmans of all shapes and sizes.

He asked me which one I thought was the most valuable, I picked out the nice shiny one with side car that looked like a scale Harley.

Wrong, he walked me over to one with hardly any paint, ragged seat and said that one there is worth the most.

He's a very smart man,,,,,,, believe me, I took his word as gospel!

But I'm tempted to shoot a couple of mine. Those old Pioneers are the bomb!

I have only painted one saw an 064 after it got a new OEM PC kit.
I have another am working on, it is also getting new OEM PC kit
along with crank bearings, oil pump am trying to make it as new
as I can. Also using clear 066 gas tank.

attachment.php

attachment.php

TT

Is that air filter org to 066?

If so I sure didn't know the 066 ever had what I call the 064 flat air filter.
I know it is a 066 by the crank case, just never seen that filter on 066,
Now I see a de-comp, so is it a parts saw?

Looks good no matter!

TT

I have been asked about that airfilter cover before and I really don`t know if it is OEM to an 066 or not. This was a one owner saw before I got it and it does have a decomp. I called and asked the original owner about the airfilter cover and he said it was never replaced, it came that way or it was on the saw when he bought it new. I got it so cheap that I never had any issues with it, last winter during a slack period I cleaned it up some and painted the cases and covers, that is all I ever did to it. Comp has always been between 145-150 cold and dry. It sure pulls a 32 full comp chisel through hardwood with ommmph.

Pioneerguy600

I have been asked about that airfilter cover before and I really don`t know if it is OEM to an 066 or not. This was a one owner saw before I got it and it does have a decomp. I called and asked the original owner about the airfilter cover and he said it was never replaced, it came that way or it was on the saw when he bought it new. I got it so cheap that I never had any issues with it, last winter during a slack period I cleaned it up some and painted the cases and covers, that is all I ever did to it. Comp has always been between 145-150 cold and dry. It sure pulls a 32 full comp chisel through hardwood with ommmph.

Pioneerguy600

Lots I don't know, but sure didn't think the flat filter and de-comp was around at the same time.

TT

Back