Took the Stihl 034av & Sachs Dolmar 116si out for spin today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleb

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Clearing some poplars around my cabin and barn... almost all of them leaners... small but leaning... the biggest one we took was 15" at the cut.

The weird thing was the 116si seemed to cut much faster... The saws are pretty similar in size... the Dolmar was running a full chisel chain and the Stihl a semi... would not think it would matter as much but the Dolmar just seemed to fall through the wood and the Stihl seemed to have to work more...

here's a video of the two making a couple of cuts

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dEn4W6jALFo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dEn4W6jALFo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Nothing weird about that! The 034 is a good not to heavy saw, but the 116si will completely annihilate a 034. 116si is about the best 60cc saw you'll find and the most powerful IMO.

good to know... I figured they were both about the same size should work about the same... I will tell you the Stihl is a good bit lighter... does not seem like much until you are working all day...

Nothing weird about that! The 034 is a good not to heavy saw, but the 116si will completely annihilate a 034. 116si is about the best 60cc saw you'll find and the most powerful IMO.

i have never run one (tried to buy one, but the seller didn't want to ship), but on paper it is not even close to a 262.

i have never run one (tried to buy one, but the seller didn't want to ship), but on paper it is not even close to a 262.

I have ran and owned a few and Ill tell you , ya need to run one Murph the paper dosent tell you everything which you know. They are not the fastest 60cc saw maybe but the pure torque and lugging power will amaze you.

The 262 is probably a tad faster but the 116SI will have a wider power band. This dolmar 116SI is a very underestimated saw. It'll cut right along with my MS361 but has not the AV of the modern Stihl.

The OP can lean out that 034 some to get it running faster but the 034 will not cut as fast as the 116Si. The SD were fast and also had more torque than most of the saws in their time, after using them for 7 years to cut thousands of cords of wood I was sad to give them up and go to Stihl as my main cutting saws. I still run the 116Si`s and 120S`s on a rotational basis with the Stihl`s, the Dolmars in this size range are the faster cutting saws.

Pioneerguy600

I have been looking for another saw in this size range and was leaning towards getting another older stihl (my price point does not allow me to get a new one) . But after hearing everyone else and my own first hand use of the saw I think I'll be hunting for a 120si...

it sounds like they were the 7900's of their day!

The biggest issue that I see holding them back is the lack of dealers, most pulled out when Makita took them over. I got lots of excuses from my dealer back then, he closed out shop about a year after the takeover, just could not work with the new ownership I guess. All I can tell you is that it is very hard to pry that era 115,116 and 120`s from their current owners unless they are getting too old to run and handle them, around here anyway.

Pioneerguy600

The biggest issue that I see holding them back is the lack of dealers, most pulled out when Makita took them over. I got lots of excuses from my dealer back then, he closed out shop about a year after the takeover, just could not work with the new ownership I guess. All I can tell you is that it is very hard to pry that era 115,116 and 120`s from their current owners unless they are getting too old to run and handle them, around here anyway.

Pioneerguy600

I was somewhat worried about that when I got my saw. But after researching it there was a local place (http://www.edgeandengine.com/) that is supposed to be pretty good 10 miles from my cabin... going to try them out over the winter... I need to replace the chain brake

I have a stihl 034av also. Yours is running way to rich. Dial it in and it will cut a lot faster.

I was somewhat worried about that when I got my saw. But after researching it there was a local place (http://www.edgeandengine.com/) that is supposed to be pretty good 10 miles from my cabin... going to try them out over the winter... I need to replace the chain brake

I have heard nothing but good things about them, wish they were closer to me.

Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back