Torn away limb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not taking it off now, I wish u woulda posted your thots before I went to all that trouble.

And I thought compartmentalism is the nature of how the tree heals...is it not?

See posts 2, 3 and 5. I fail to see any healthy connection between compartmentalization and fecal smear.

Ever been sent after a lefthanded screwdriver? :msp_mellow:

I'm not taking it off now, I wish u woulda posted your thots before I went to all that trouble.

And I thought compartmentalism is the nature of how the tree heals...is it not?

Sorry, Just seen the post this am! No, trees do not heal, animals heal, trees do not re-generate tissue, they generate new tissues in new places/spaces, the wound will always be there, it will be compartmentalized and the tree may close the wound,depending on the nature of the wound, but it will still be there. That wound will never close. What you are doing will make matters worse. Decay will set in very quickly. I have read about moss treatments for low portions of the trunk, but I have never heard anything about putting poop on a tree. If anything, it is a good practice to remove it from crotches and unused animal cavities, poop is a food source for all kinds of crap!

Ok, who is the smart ass who suckered the guy into wrapping a manure patch on the tree? Really?

You seam to be refeering to me. As a mater of fact it was I that introduced him to the fix for the wound he was conserned about. This is a litigament fix for the problem, do not doubt it and do not label the gentelman as a sucker. I did not advise him to use the mesh, but advised that he plaster the injury with fresh cow manure. This fix was used for years in orchards across the country for this very problem. Give it time to work and you just might feel to be the misinformed sucker.

Last edited:
You seam to be refeering to me. As a mater of fact it was I that introduced him to the fix for the wound he was conserned about. This is a litigament fix for the problem, do not doubt it and do not label the gentelman as a sucker. I did not advise him to use the mesh, but advised that he plaster the injury with fresh cow manure. This fix was used for years in orchards across the country for this very problem. Give it time to work and you just might feel to be the misinformed sucker.

Actually I am not refeering much these days but if I do it goes to the left hand side.

What I said was kinda a joke. Just picturing the poor guy smearing manure and stringing chicken wire was amusing to me, kinda like a snipey hunt.

I guess this manure method is kinda like air layering and it would not surprise me to see some sort of reaction from it.:msp_thumbsup:

Sorry Sawdog! But I think that is one of those old practices that was never really studied (i wonder why!) I asked my F-I-L whose dad was a tree guy in the old, OLD days (10ft double handled hand saws), he worked with his dad till he left for the big city (pop 40,000!lol!) He just started laughing, said it sounded like he should milk a bull too! I, by no means am claiming to know it all, but I have been studying this stuff for a good long time, read everything I can get my hands on, hit the books everyday for at least 2 hours, sometimes all day. I have never, EVER, heard anything about putting poop on a tree!, I would like to see some proof of it "healing" the tree. I am not making fun, just saying that it sounds like a old home remedy. If it works, maybe we should contact the ISA to get it entered into the Best Management books!

I can see it now

" For extreme wounds it is best too mix a bit of cow poop with pig poop, the parasites in the pig poop react with the meristematic......."

Tools needed:
1. Cow
2. Trowel
3. Chicken wire
4. Nose plugs

Didn't read all the posts but saw the pic's and decided to comment. Always thought that bee's wax would be a suitable fix but never tried it, that or concrete.

Back