Toro STX-26 Stump Grinder Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheGrind

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Longtime lurker, new member. I love the forum and wealth of knowledge.

I've got a Toro STX-26 grinder that I'm looking for some assistance on. Hopefully someone has experience with them as Toro tech service and their "local distributor network" seem worthless when it comes to tech service on their grinders.

The machine has apprx 900 hours and runs great. The lower pivot pin though (main frame to cutter frame assembly up and down pivot) has slop and unfortunately allows the head to move side to side a bit which allows for more chatter than I'd like when grinding and unnecessary stress on the rest of the machine.
The lower pivot pin will not take grease. 5000 psi on the gauge and no go. I'm guessing that due to its location it was infrequently lubricated throughout its life.

The pin assembly seems to be comprised of only a bolt, 2 washers, and a sleeve... I'm guessing the current play allowed means those welded end bushings on the frame assembly will need to be sleeved or cut off and new ones welded to clean up the slop in that pivot?

Any help would be great!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You're correct. You need to replace what we call the pin and bushing and this will correct the slop in the cutter wheel head. Just order those from a Toro dealer. You may need to have some way to support the cutter wheel head while doing this. We use our forklift to hold the cutter wheel head while making the repair. I would recommend greasing it daily.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

You're correct. You need to replace what we call the pin and bushing and this will correct the slop in the cutter wheel head. Just order those from a Toro dealer. You may need to have some way to support the cutter wheel head while doing this. We use our forklift to hold the cutter wheel head while making the repair. I would recommend greasing it daily.

Dave
770-420-6400
Awesome, Thanks!

So the tension provided by the nut and bolt squeezing the pivot pin bushing between the frame bosses is what fixes that pivot pin bushing into place so that it doesn't move with the cutter head?

The reason I ask is the bolt (pin) isn't a well matched fit in the frame bosses, there's some play. I'm guessing the pivot pin bushing stays fixed into place once tightened down so the only moving part is the cutter frame rotating on the OD of the pivot pin bushing?

Hard to explain. Darndest thing though. The grease port was blocked or not drilled through. The pivot pin bushing appears to have never received grease. It stuck into place in the cutter head bore saving the cutter head bore but then caused the bushing to rotate with the cutter head and bolt which wore the bolt down inside of the frame boss.

Dave
770-420-6400

fyi all toro service manuals are free just click on link and put in model and ser #

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Awesome, Thanks!

So the tension provided by the nut and bolt squeezing the pivot pin bushing between the frame bosses is what fixes that pivot pin bushing into place so that it doesn't move with the cutter head?

The reason I ask is the bolt (pin) isn't a well matched fit in the frame bosses, there's some play. I'm guessing the pivot pin bushing stays fixed into place once tightened down so the only moving part is the cutter frame rotating on the OD of the pivot pin bushing?

Hard to explain. Darndest thing though. The grease port was blocked or not drilled through. The pivot pin bushing appears to have never received grease. It stuck into place in the cutter head bore saving the cutter head bore but then caused the bushing to rotate with the cutter head and bolt which wore the bolt down inside of the frame boss.

Ran a tap through the grease port and cleared it. Also cleaned the bore up with a rag.
993242593f43f7d1c995b9fd63eff38c.jpg
234a588aa6b0abb0a85e37ab24b67aaf.jpg
a24162a877a9f300889903b69abf2dfc.jpg
2b7860936c3633c8a733bd0bbb69f777.jpg
912d0e4264045809210f04d8e4c22316.jpg
49892e2f95f596fbb6a7186716290212.jpg
9e21391f4ced3febe5c3fbffdda1262e.jpg
b7f6553fee47dee05662adb5d49fb3e6.jpg
f6e82601e5c9d2b4ce51e817146e32a1.jpg

Well replacement pivot pin spacer, bolt, washers and nut scheduled for delivery thurs. Fingers crossed. May have to add a thin washer depending on the frame gap once torqued.

Back