torque vs chainspeed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MillerModSaws

USE2COULDBESPONSER!
Reaction score
I got question for you all and I will explain. Do u prefer your saws (when ported) to have the chains speed or the torque. And here's why I asked. I just got done building one of my loggers saws. He is hard on everything. It happens to be a ms460. I just usually do mild builds for him cause he refuses to use good oil, gas, clean his air filter. You name it. I havnt did a lot of these. But the first 2 I built I did 100,120 next was 100,116 and intake was 80 on both. .030 off squish band and squish set at .020. This one I did 102 and 120 and left the intake higher at 178. .025 off squish and reset squish to .025 and I really like this. It dosnt have quite the chain speed of the 100,116,80 but it works really nice for a heavy handed fool like me.

I got question for you all and I will explain. Do u prefer your saws (when ported) to have the chains speed or the torque. And here's why I asked. I just got done building one of my loggers saws. He is hard on everything. It happens to be a ms460. I just usually do mild builds for him cause he refuses to use good oil, gas, clean his air filter. You name it. I havnt did a lot of these. But the first 2 I built I did 100,120 next was 100,116 and intake was 80 on both. .030 off squish band and squish set at .020. This one I did 102 and 120 and left the intake higher at 178. .025 off squish and reset squish to .025 and I really like this. It dosnt have quite the chain speed of the 100,116,80 but it works really nice for a heavy handed fool like me.
Torque on the big CC saws speed on the smaller ones. On a 460 I would like rpm and torque.

Chain speed is what cuts; torque maintains chain speed more than anything else
That said, a balance between the two is needed to have an acceptable saw as Brad said
Just look at the big older Homelites and Pioneers; loads of torque, but very slow

Chain speed is what cuts; torque maintains chain speed more than anything else
That said, a balance between the two is needed to have an acceptable saw as Brad said
Just look at the big older Homelites and Pioneers; loads of torque, but very slow
Better for pushing dull chain through tough stumps.

IMHO, a well built saw should have an excellent combination of both. I see them as mutually exclusive. If a saw is all torque, then it falls short in my books. If it's all RPMs, the it can't pull those RPMs in the cut, so it misses the mark again. I'm not happy until I achieve both.
I agree and I seen this on the 375 build. First go I swear you could have road the saw threw the log. It was slow but you cldnt bog it. But that opinion on combo is what I'm after. Cause let's say 100 with 18 blowdown vs 102 with 18 blow down the difference isn't huge but one may carry just a few more rpm and the other will allow for a little heavier hand or a bit more pull on the handle when dogged in.

If you want more chain speed and less torque, just pop on an 8 pin rim. I used an 8 pin rim with an 18 or 20 inch bar when I had my 460, o/w it was a waste of torque. Same with my 441 now. Simple to do on inboard clutch saws, which are all I own now. Longer bars I drop back down to a 7 pin rim for more torque to overcome the added resistance and friction.
Agreed but I guess I'm trying to figure out as a builder is what feels right to most. Silly thought I know. But an example is I've built several saws in my area so they get compared a lot. Lol. And i can have the same saw built just slightly different and it's kinda split as to who likes what. One will like the faster chain speed. The next will like a torquey saw.

when I was cutting firewood on a crew the main thing was chain speed...using St 044s/066s and Hk 266/268s with 24 or 28" bars. Cutting mostly Almond trees we rarely got stumps over 18" and most branches 8" and under so didn't worry about torque. bar length was to keep from stooping over (yea, wore out a lot of tips). When we did get something larger like walnut or very old Almond the the saws still had plenty of torque even with 8t sprockets. Back then the 066s were the fastest stock saws we used in that weight range.
Now I'm older and like my dozer Dan 16" 346xp for limning...saw is a screamer for taking a tree apart and not too shabby to 18" or so diameter...doesn't wear me out quite so fast as the Stihl :p

Agreed but I guess I'm trying to figure out as a builder is what feels right to most. Silly thought I know. But an example is I've built several saws in my area so they get compared a lot. Lol. And i can have the same saw built just slightly different and it's kinda split as to who likes what. One will like the faster chain speed. The next will like a torquey saw.

Well, make them all torque monsters and give the guys that like chain speed 8 or even 9 pin rims. They cost what, $12?

Torque is king. Ask anybody who actually uses a saw everyday. Nobody wants a piss revver.

Just some food for thought....

At 12k RPM, a 7 pin 3/8 setup spins at 87.5 feet per second.

At 13k RPM, the same setup spins the chain at 94.79 feet per second.

Changing gears a bit... Lol.

At 12K RPM, an 8 pin rim at 12k rpm spins the chain at 100 feet per second.

And at 13K RPM , an 8 pin spins the chain at 108 feet per second.

If you can maintain 12k in wood, that is, have the torque to pull an 8 pin rim, you WILL be cutting faster than the same saw, running a 7 pin at 13k RPM.

Like I said, torque is king....

Speed is for cuttin' cookies

Yep.

Good friend came by today to pick his saw up. He's the head faller for a small outfit I do saw work for. We got to discussing the different saws I've built for him over the years.

He said, and I quote "The saws gotta have power. I've got to be able to set the dawgs, step off to the side and lean on it".

Yall think by power he meant chain speed?

Torque is king. Ask anybody who actually uses a saw everyday. Nobody wants a piss revver.

Just some food for thought....

At 12k RPM, a 7 pin 3/8 setup spins at 87.5 feet per minute.

At 13k RPM, the same setup spins the chain at 94.79 feet per minute.

Changing gears a bit... Lol.

At 12K RPM, an 8 pin rim at 12k rpm spins the chain at 100 feet per minute.

And at 13K RPM , an 8 pin spins the chain at 108 feet per minute.

If you can maintain 12k in wood, that is, have the torque to pull an 8 pin rim, you WILL be cutting faster than the same saw, running a 7 pin at 13k RPM.

Like I said, torque is king....
I think you mean per second not per minute as if that is the case l can walk faster than the chain on your porded sawz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back