torque vs chainspeed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3465722-pointless.jpg

To quote Forrest Gump......." I am not a smart man", but I have always let the saws work and almost never forced them to slow or bog, that's how my dad taught me to use one. He also taught me to keep the saw clean, oiled, and running well and always sharpen the chain when you notice it cutting slower or every other tank of gas. Stumps were the last thing cut and no hurry w them.

In solving for torque how do you get your horsepower number?
There are three variables. To solve for any one of them you must have the other two. Any of them could be measured directly, but it is usually easier to measure torque on most dynos. And rpm is simple to measure.

None of that changes what the terms represent in regard to physics. Power is the rate of doing work (transferring energy). Torque by itself does no work and neither does rpm.

This entire discussion is equivalent to asking "what is more important, voltage or current?", when in fact voltage x current = power and neither is more important.

There are three variables. To solve for any one of them you must have the other two. Any of them could be measured directly, but it is usually easier to measure torque on most dynos. And rpm is simple to measure.

None of that changes what the terms represent in regard to physics. Power is the rate of doing work (transferring energy). Torque by itself does no work and neither does rpm.

This entire discussion is equivalent to asking "what is more important, voltage or current?", when in fact voltage x current = power and neither is more important.
Current

No, torque is a measurable force. 1lb of force applied on a 1' lever = 1ft-lb. Horsepower is a calculation, torque (measured in ft-lbs) x rpm/5252= horsepower.

You have torque and horsepower in the wrong positions of your equation. They are not interchangeable.

I am partially wrong in this post and probably several more. I misread huskstihl's equation. I kept transposing rpm and 5252 in my brain and seeing it as torque=hp x rpm/5252.

I went back and added the last few sentences.

How do you measure mechanical horsepower directly?

I don't know why all the good members left. I hope it wasn't over mathematics. I'm just happy to now know that I can now add some torque to my motor without changing the power or RPM.

How do you measure horsepower directly?
You could drive a generator, run a known resistive load and measure the current. You could turn the mechanical energy into heat and measure the temperature rise of a known mass. There are plenty of ways to set up such an experiment/test.

It's easier to measure the force at a known distance and calculate torque.

You could drive a generator, run a known resistive load and measure the current. You could turn the mechanical energy into heat and measure the temperature rise of a known mass. There are plenty of ways to set up such an experiment/test.

It's easier to measure the force at a known distance and calculate torque.

It would seem those methods would require you to calculate the horsepower, after measuring current or temperature rise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back