total2 vs gb vs carlton...whats the best bang for the buck on bar chain combos right now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ima Doher

Ole Sparky
Reaction score
I'm searcing through the bars posts and read alot of old info on bar companies changing hands.
So what is the best bang for the buck right now bar wise?

Depends on how much cutting you do. A pro bar makes more sense for a pro and a laminated bar can make better sense for one not putting big hours on their saw. Lamiated bars can be a lighter, cheaper alternative to solid RSN bars. Having said that the PSP's will be along to tell you a shiny unused polished reduced wieght bar out of Japan is the only suitible bar to cut wood. What are your intentions as far as use? How much do you want to spend? What size bar are you needing and what saw will it be mounted to?

I need a bar for milling with an stihl 084.
I find less than 100 dollars for sandvik, carlton and those have chains too.
I even find a total2 bar and chain for 120 dollar range.
I'm leaning to one of the 3 bars above for the 084 but more than likely wont go over the 100 dollar mark.
Really can't be sure that the quality is there any more on any of the three.

But reading past posts I see where these bars and even GB and stihl bars have changed company hands seems to be starting around 2005 or at least that is as far back as I need to go in the posts to see it's hard to depend on a brand name any more.
With the changing of the hands they started lowering the quality of the bars, some substituting oregon bars painted and re-branded and even oregon painting and re-branding some of these other bars I mentioned and I'm guessing because these other bars are now as low as oregon quality.
But most of the info from posts seems to date 2008 to 2012.
I'm sure more upsets have occurred since then while others have stabilized out.

Guess what I'm really asking is what is the latest scoop on bar brands as of late, the good the bad and the ugly?

I bought a Stihl 660 a year or so ago with 25" and 36" bars. Very happy with both. I have two old Homelite 1050's with 24" and 36" bars for both. My Dad bought them new in the early 70's, all four bars are in very good shape. So, I think, the more important thing is how you treat them. If you don't over tighten them and run plenty of oil on them, they should last a very long time, Joe.

Just forming this comparison from the chatter from posts on this group.

Reported as of 2010

Blount owns Oregon, Windsor and Carlton bars as of 2008. Appears this Blount joker trying to own em all.

Carlton are made in Canadia now and r rebadged Oregon Power Match Plus bars
There are Tiawanese Carlton bars not sure if they are made there presently
Tiger brand German bars are identical to Carlton German bars but one report is the tiger was cheap in price and quality.
As of 2010 there are also Tsumara Carltons from Japan
So it pays to specify which bar you want when ordering.
Qoute "The old Tsumura made Carlton bars are labelled 'Carlton Premium Sprocket-Tip' and the German made Carlton bars are 'Carlton Sprocket Tip'
Both are clear coat brushed steel finished.
The Tsumura bar has a distinctive nose, the German bar uses a Carlton style single rivet nose.
The new Carlton bars that are re-labelled Oregon Power Match Plus bars are painted black " end qoute
Qoute "Like others have said, as long as its a German, GB, or Tsumura bar branded Carlton, ring up the register."

Cannon bars are well respected but way over priced. Cannons are appreciated in longer lenghts due to they don't sag. Cannon bars are heavy.

GB home page http://www.gbbar.com.au/ and their products http://www.gbbar.com.au/product.htm
GB bars as of 2010 had abandoned Australia and had moved operations to China. Australia have a EPA or GB just not like Australians?
GB titanium bars are well respected

Oregon Power Match bars (rebranded Carlton bars) are probably Oregons best choice.

Stihl ES bars are very very well spoken of, Say the bars wear a long time.
The bars compete with Tsumura, Sugi Hara, and total bars in longivity wear.

Sugi-Hara bars are expensive, made in Japan and very very well respected

Total super pro bars are great bars rebranded Tsumura bars. It pays to request the Tsumura bars as they have sold rebadged German bars and rebadged GB Pro Tops.
Total II bars are laminated and as of 2010 post made in Taiwan.

Tsumura bars are long wear bars . They can be found wearing a Carlton badge and Total badge as well as Tsumura.
Can be found at Jonsered and tilton dealers. Are made in 050, 058 and 063 thinckness.

Woodland Pro bars are rebranded Cannon bars and heavy just like Cannon.
A WP 42" bar weighs in at 6.5 lb

nice comparison of the top name bars
here: http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...n-stihl-cannon-total-tsumura-sugihara.276353/
here: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/light-bar-comparison.260418/#post-4888813

As far as bar thicknesses go a couple notes.
It's been said that 063 thickness bars oil better than 050 thick bars and 063 has been noted to last longer than 050. Chips can get stuck in the groves on the 050 an hard to get out.
050 is lighter and balances nicely on bars.
These notes above were just noted by some on the group but makes sense.

Chain

Stihl is respected as 1 of if not the top chain for hardness but cost pretty too.
Stihl chain may cut smoother than Woodland pro chain

Carlton is a mostly reported a good chain and the S chipper chain is sought after in posts.

Woodland Pro is a well respected chain too and may be made by Carlton.
WP .325 may not be as good as Oregon .325 chain

Oregon chain stretches and not a common go to chain for people

Back