Tracked Aerial Lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, DOT cop. You're right again. Damn it. Although it's STUPID to go through all that trouble and not get an A/B endorsement.

It's not stupid to not get one seeing how you CAN"T get one.

Why worry about having an air brake restriction if you don't need to drive a CMV with air brakes?

Your trailer plus chip truck requires a class A. Probably with the one ton as well.

Dammit. You're right. Can't quite figure out my line of thinking there. Thanks. Means I should be able to hook up to that trailer w/ my chip truck and get my A with airbrakes though, right?

Any idea what to do if the gcwr is not written on the truck? I looked the other day, neither my 1 ton or chip truck have them. 1 ton doesn't even have a gvwr on it.

That particular GCWR means nothing anyway so don't worry aboot it.

GVWR of the one ton should be able to be found with the VIN at a dealer. I won't matter either though because the DOT will know it is plenty big with a 16k trailer to require a Class A.

That particular GCWR means nothing anyway so don't worry aboot it.

GVWR of the one ton should be able to be found with the VIN at a dealer. I won't matter either though because the DOT will know it is plenty big with a 16k trailer to require a Class A.

How does it mean nothing? ...if you wouldn't mind. If my gcwr is lower than the gvwr of truck and a 16K trailor...well, seems that spells trouble. FWIW I don't mind skirting the law a bit but it'd be nice to know if and how I am in compliance.

How does it mean nothing? ...if you wouldn't mind. If my gcwr is lower than the gvwr of truck and a 16K trailor...well, seems that spells trouble. FWIW I don't mind skirting the law a bit but it'd be nice to know if and how I am in compliance.

It means nothing in reference to the CDL issue.

Otherwise my take on it is that it sin't a leagal rating.:msp_unsure:

If you read the current regs, you'd know you don't need a cdl to haul a 10001 trailer if you're pulling it with an under cdl rig.

Thats funny, during my DOT audit I asked Mr. PA DOT about this & ........His exact words " can be subject to interpretation, I pull you over in your pick up with your 12,000 gvwr trailer attached to it & you have no CDL A.......Red Tag & Tow....Driver" & his final laugh............internet uhh? let me know when those guys come to PA so I can retire!!!

IDK...........it doesnt matter to me, I have my CDL-A with no restrictions & all endorsements & my stuff is compliant.........so no citations!!!! thank god!!!

LXT..............

whoever said you dont need airbrakes for under CDL & mentioned <26001 is way wrong.............better read what makes you motor carrier designated!! this is where some get in trouble with thinking the FMCSR is the only LAW......

My rig is 25,000gvwr with airbrake & believe me...........I better not have an airbrake restriction, I also had to do the in cab brake test for the auditor along with go through the pretrip for the slack adjuster section of the truck!!! fail this in the field & they can literally make you recertify for that portion!!

heres the short of it.............I know im fully compliant & have the Commonwealths slip to show it, I know what I was told.....& im inclined to believe the guy with the badge, we can debate forever whats....what, more than anything just be safe & stay healthy!

LXT...............

Thats funny, during my DOT audit I asked Mr. PA DOT about this & ........His exact words " can be subject to interpretation, I pull you over in your pick up with your 12,000 gvwr trailer attached to it & you have no CDL A.......Red Tag & Tow....Driver" & his final laugh............internet uhh? let me know when those guys come to PA so I can retire!!!

IDK...........it doesnt matter to me, I have my CDL-A with no restrictions & all endorsements & my stuff is compliant.........so no citations!!!! thank god!!!

LXT..............

whoever said you dont need airbrakes for under CDL & mentioned <26001 is way wrong.............better read what makes you motor carrier designated!! this is where some get in trouble with thinking the FMCSR is the only LAW......

My rig is 25,000gvwr with airbrake & believe me...........I better not have an airbrake restriction, I also had to do the in cab brake test for the auditor along with go through the pretrip for the slack adjuster section of the truck!!! fail this in the field & they can literally make you recertify for that portion!!

heres the short of it.............I know im fully compliant & have the Commonwealths slip to show it, I know what I was told.....& im inclined to believe the guy with the badge, we can debate forever whats....what, more than anything just be safe & stay healthy!

LXT...............

Typical. You have no clue as to what the law is but will come one here and pretend you do.

Show us where these "regualtions" are.

Sorry but you truly have no clue.

LXT..............

I drove a 54K log truck through there in Feb with false plates and blew by every weigh station from pipersville to the border. Your douche dot friend sucks at life, and he can suck a fat dik when he pulls me over next time I'm there with a 3/4 and a 12K trailer and tries to tow me, hell, I won't even show him that I have a class A. :) I'll fly my lawyer there to put a whole new meaning to public service for your PA dot douche pal who likes to "interpret" the rules. That's for judges, not LEO :)

Typical. You have no clue as to what the law is but will come one here and pretend you do.

Show us where these "regualtions" are.

Sorry but you truly have no clue.

I have to wonder if you are AA??.........well chubbymax: certification of safety inspection for motor carrier vehicle:

(1) A truck or Truck Tractor having a GVWR, Gross combination(Gcwr), registered gross weight or registered combination weight of 17,001 pounds or more!!

Ya know the GCWR you said legally means nothing.....WRONG!!!

(2) A truck or truck tractor engaged in interstate commerce & having a gvwr of 10,001 or more......Key here is INTERSTATE!! but you Im sure will dispute that!!! technically this section would not apply to most of us, unless we are working outta state.............!

So the way I read it buckaroo is my f-250 GVWR is 10,000 Gvwr & my trailer is 12,000 GVWR = 22,000 GCWR.....Guess what, I am technically a combination vehicle & therefore I Need a Class A........... I didnt write this stuff & beings you think you know what the laws in PA are.....maybe you should come here & apply for a DOT position, My brother in law is State Police & by what is in his Code & stated to me....thats what I follow & any good CDL driver who has been on the road knows: "the rules are subject to interpretation" Like I said................there are more law references than you have, that is the drivers job to obtain & know!!

LXT.................. geez, I guess that DOT audit should a been done by fatmax......should crown him US dept of all knowing DOT Regs! LOL

Last edited:
I drove a 54K log truck through there in Feb with false plates and blew by every weigh station from pipersville to the border. Your douche dot friend sucks at life, and he can suck a fat dik when he pulls me over next time I'm there with a 3/4 and a 12K trailer and tries to tow me, hell, I won't even show him that I have a class A. :) I'll fly my lawyer there to put a whole new meaning to public service for your PA dot douche pal who likes to "interpret" the rules. That's for judges, not LEO :)

You`re too funny..............everyone is a bad man on the internet & knows everything & I doubt you blew off the scale houses..............Please, false plates & the rest of what you said??????????? & to fly in a lawyer....you dont make that much if you`re driving a Lil 54K log truck...............!

LXT....................Hey I didnt write the stuff I just adhere to it!

Ha.....well Mr. Internet Badazz why dont you post the name of that motor carrier/Logging company that doesnt have enough money to buy legal plates (& you gonna fly in an Atty.) LOL,.........so I can pass that info off to that douche as you put it? Im sure he`ll love to know you`re gonna tell him what to suk!! please put up that info Badazz!!! Im sure the threat of a driver running completely illegal "as stated" to fly in his lawyer will just scare the hell outta em.........LMFAO, c`mon...post it!!!

LXT..............

this thread belongs in the de-rail hall of fame

It does!!! geez, I wasnt looking for an arguement, just stating what ive read & been told!!!! if Im wrong?.....then I have cautioned on being safe...didnt know that was a bad thing!

LXT.............

I drove a 54K log truck through there in Feb with false plates and blew by every weigh station from pipersville to the border.

I'm not in pa every day like lxt, but we are down there a lot. The thing is, Pennsylvania's only permanent weigh station is at Clarion, if i remember correctly, all the rest are portables. So it is possible to get through pa without ever hitting a weigh station, but there have been times i've had to go through three weigh stations. Just depends on where they are set up. You got lucky, i can say from experience that if you "blow" by a weigh station that has the sign out to exit, they will chase you down.

It does!!! geez, I wasnt looking for an arguement, just stating what ive read & been told!!!! if Im wrong?.....then I have cautioned on being safe...didnt know that was a bad thing!

LXT.............

No argument with me :msp_wink: In fact I need to learn more about CDL. I should get one soon. I am gonna have to (pretty much) inorder to grow my business. However, I am also very interested in tracked lifts. I believe they are up n coming in the industry. Of course they will have limits and draw backs. I dont think it will matter for me anytime soon cuz I doubt I could get the credit for somthing that expensive. But...I still gotta wonder...I maybe surprised what I could get. And as far as CDL goes....I think about this to...If I have a bucket thats CDL, I will PROBLY be the only person with a CDL (that I dont have yet). Its hard enough to find decent/good help with a damn DL let alone a CDL!! If I had a lift ....well...now i can get that from point A to B with a 3/4 ton pick up. Or my dump truck. Just some stuff I been thinking of.

I have to wonder if you are AA??.........well chubbymax: certification of safety inspection for motor carrier vehicle:

(1) A truck or Truck Tractor having a GVWR, Gross combination(Gcwr), registered gross weight or registered combination weight of 17,001 pounds or more!!

Ya know the GCWR you said legally means nothing.....WRONG!!!

(2) A truck or truck tractor engaged in interstate commerce & having a gvwr of 10,001 or more......Key here is INTERSTATE!! but you Im sure will dispute that!!! technically this section would not apply to most of us, unless we are working outta state.............!

So the way I read it buckaroo is my f-250 GVWR is 10,000 Gvwr & my trailer is 12,000 GVWR = 22,000 GCWR.....Guess what, I am technically a combination vehicle & therefore I Need a Class A........... I didnt write this stuff & beings you think you know what the laws in PA are.....maybe you should come here & apply for a DOT position, My brother in law is State Police & by what is in his Code & stated to me....thats what I follow & any good CDL driver who has been on the road knows: "the rules are subject to interpretation" Like I said................there are more law references than you have, that is the drivers job to obtain & know!!

LXT.................. geez, I guess that DOT audit should a been done by fatmax......should crown him US dept of all knowing DOT Regs! LOL

Another post of yours that proves that you truly have no clue. Really it only continues to prove your ignorance of the subject.

Again I ask if you bothered to read the regulation that I posted that was quoted directly from the FMCSR that you seem to think you know?

Why can't you post where the regualtion is that say you need CDL for a trailer over 10k GVWR? or that you need a CDL B for a 25k truck with air brakes?

You can't because no such regualtion exists.

Your quoes about 17k and interstate 10k have NOTHING to do with CDls. IF you would have read the FMCSR you would know this.

ps I guess you don't understand what GCWR I was speaking of as well. The fact that you have a CDL is done right scary.

Another post of yours that proves that you truly have no clue. Really it only continues to prove your ignorance of the subject.

Again I ask if you bothered to read the regulation that I posted that was quoted directly from the FMCSR that you seem to think you know?

Why can't you post where the regualtion is that say you need CDL for a trailer over 10k GVWR? or that you need a CDL B for a 25k truck with air brakes?

You can't because no such regualtion exists.

Your quoes about 17k and interstate 10k have NOTHING to do with CDls. IF you would have read the FMCSR you would know this.

ps I guess you don't understand what GCWR I was speaking of as well. The fact that you have a CDL is done right scary.

LOL........you are funny & whats sad is you give just enough truth in what you say while thinking it to be gospel that you are dangerous............ok another try Idiot.......the section you will want to view is called: safety inspection for motor carrier............oh thats right this is a DOT officers publication & one could prolly find it @ your local dept of transportation!

Does everyone notice I only refer to my state.......while fatmax thinks he is the law in all states, By the way............you need to re-visit GCWR (gross combination weight rating) cause the info you gave on here about it not being needed is a LIE!!!!!!

Im scary??? LOL, the fact you give wrong info & some on here may follow your worthless prattle is what is scary.......So tell us about your background pertaining to driving in PA..! cause...............I just went through an audit, just sent in my registration & am Looking at it now...Form MV-105-MCTSC & right on there ball bag is section #5 telling you what is what & asking you to check a box verifying that your vehicle is inspected...............my truck gets inspected twice a year!!!

what do you drive? what class license do you have?..............while you might give worthless advice that dances around the form of legality..............I give it from experience, its clear you have never been OTR or pulled over by DOT, picked apart @ the scale house, etc... or you would have better insight than thinking you know all the rules from your lil JJ keller publication!!

technically for a 25,000 gvwr truck you only need a class c with no airbrake restriction good luck on getting that cause if im not mistaken you must apply for a class B in order to sit the exam for airbrakes in PA....However, even if so, you now have a class c "Commercial Drivers License"...........I see where you told someone that why worry unless you are gonna drive CMV........whats sad with your goofy impotent statement is that once you have a CDL..........you are commercial 24/7 & even in your own private vehicle you will be treated like you`re in a CMV..........look at the breathalizer test limit for those with CDL`s......even in the family yugo you better not be over .04 in PA .08 for non CDL..............well officer..Im in a PMV (private motor vehicle) LMFAO you cant fine me pertaining to CDL regulations cause Fatmax from arboristsite said so........LMFAO

And finally............I know you will have something to come back with cause HELL.............you are the CDL/DOT god wanna be & nothing you say is wrong..............what you driving again? you an OTR driver?............Nah didnt think so!

guys......before listening to this nut pump, go to your state driver center & get the truck drivers handbook, Fmcsr & state motor carrier laws & safety inspection pamphlet if they have it & then you will know what your state requires!!! Im done with this jack wagon!!

LXT...............

Back