Tracked Aerial Lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pa's license requirements, even if they were different, don't affect you since you are in interstate commerce.

Right here is a misleading statement.............License requirements....your right on that, BUT..anything pertaining to his vehicle, load, manifest, msds, pretrip, fuel logs, road tax.....etc will effect him & one thing they blast many tree trucks on is lose dunnage

LXT..........

Hmmmm.... thats possible!!

Im not trying to be argumenatative for the sake of such......the truth is: you can ask a state cop in lancaster a question & a state cop in Pittsburgh will give you a totally different answer for the same question.

All I know is I have been pulled over by three cops at the same time.....State Cop, Dot officer & Motor Carrier enforcement officer & all of em have a different little book they go by, one is weights & measures certified, one enforces this the other that & so on, the truth is if you think you know it all one the 3 above will surely find a reason to fine you over something!!! I am just going by what Im told & that was by the DOT officer during my audit, which in PA is mandatory depending on how you are registered & so forth, I cant cite the whole vehicle code pertaining to motor carrier enforcement nor the PA vehicle code otherwise.

but for someone to think that they are "johnny law know it all" to tell me what is law in Pa over those enforcing the laws is absurd, I know the obvious CDL statutes....all im saying is there is more to it....Im not gonna march into the local Barracks & say hey...Fatmax told me you guys are full of **** & this is the real law right here!!!

All Im saying is if he knows so much......then come to PA & obtain that in which he says he can & hell...while he`s at it teach an informative class on the topics he thinks he knows.....Im sure the powers that be will love that!! other than that Im following what Ive been told & havent had a problem....so if you are the type that wants to rock the boat with the semantics that fatmax has offered you....go ahead!! but ask him if he`s gonna pay the fine for you? meanwhile better safe than sorry Ill follow what I have been....!

LXT...............

I do plan on getting my class A soon for other reasons but I can't quite abstain from working in PA because some guy on the internet told me I'm not legal to drive there. Please LXT, do you have ANY documentation to back up what your buddies told you? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I do plan on getting my class A soon for other reasons but I can't quite abstain from working in PA because some guy on the internet told me I'm not legal to drive there. Please LXT, do you have ANY documentation to back up what your buddies told you? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

You have to follow the "interstate" commerence rules were we have to follow the "intrastate" commerence rules. Here is a link that you should be able to find everything out on. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Right here is a misleading statement.............

It's not misleading a bit. It's completely pertinent to the conversaion at hand. You are the only one bringing up all kinds of others things as a diversion to answer any question asked of you.

Even some of the things you mention here are still covered under FMCSR but you wouldn't know that, would you.

It's not misleading a bit. It's completely pertinent to the conversaion at hand. You are the only one bringing up all kinds of others things as a diversion to answer any question asked of you.

Even some of the things you mention here are still covered under FMCSR but you wouldn't know that, would you.

Ya know I was trying to be civil in my reply & I even agreed with you....however you have a way to pidgeon hole what you say as LAW for everyone!!! you are the one who keeps saying its not a CDL issue & it clearly is!!! as much of an issue as what you told blakes in the post above!

Blakes, Look I dont have all the answers, like I said you ask 2 cops the same question & you`ll get 2 different answers....I went to a voluntary meeting in the Pittsburgh area for CDL/trailer towing & other things related, they had every law enforcement officer there you could think of & they red tagged certain peoples trucks/trailers, etc.... for teaching purposes!!! I remember one guy with a Dodge dully with a 14k trailer & he was told he was operating outside his license class.........he needed a CDL A!!

the red tags were pulled @ the end of the seminar, this was an informative gathering because so many people didnt understand all the different laws, etc.... I was told that day that If I think the FMCSR is all that they go by......I better have deep pockets..laugh, laugh by the officer & his buddies............My best advice is to just keep everything above par & Legal cause it seems to me that certain things are subject to interpretation.............if you wanna argue with the officer...good luck, I prefer to ask him what can I do to be compliant SIR?

LXT......................

Ya know I was trying to be civil in my reply & I even agreed with you....however you have a way to pidgeon hole what you say as LAW for everyone!!! you are the one who keeps saying its not a CDL issue & it clearly is!!! as much of an issue as what you told blakes in the post above!

Blakes, Look I dont have all the answers, like I said you ask 2 cops the same question & you`ll get 2 different answers....I went to a voluntary meeting in the Pittsburgh area for CDL/trailer towing & other things related, they had every law enforcement officer there you could think of & they red tagged certain peoples trucks/trailers, etc.... for teaching purposes!!! I remember one guy with a Dodge dully with a 14k trailer & he was told he was operating outside his license class.........he needed a CDL A!!

the red tags were pulled @ the end of the seminar, this was an informative gathering because so many people didnt understand all the different laws, etc.... I was told that day that If I think the FMCSR is all that they go by......I better have deep pockets..laugh, laugh by the officer & his buddies............My best advice is to just keep everything above par & Legal cause it seems to me that certain things are subject to interpretation.............if you wanna argue with the officer...good luck, I prefer to ask him what can I do to be compliant SIR?

I'm not surprised he needs a class A for that rig. A dually dodge with 14K trailer is sure to be over 26,001 lbs GCWR. However a 3/4 ton with 10,001 trailer could just slip in under 26,000 lbs. As far as officers enforcing laws that aren't on the books, well, I must say that THAT is wrong. I'll CMA and get my class A but a few rogue cops laughing about enforcing laws that aren't on the books makes me sick.

I'm not surprised he needs a class A for that rig. A dually dodge with 14K trailer is sure to be over 26,001 lbs GCWR. However a 3/4 ton with 10,001 trailer could just slip in under 26,000 lbs. As far as officers enforcing laws that aren't on the books, well, I must say that THAT is wrong. I'll CMA and get my class A but a few rogue cops laughing about enforcing laws that aren't on the books makes me sick.

I agree with you!!! however im not sure what is on the books & what is not...I tried to call the DOT auditor that did my safety inspection for some clarification on the topics gone over here........Cant get him to return my calls. what it seems like to me especially in PA, is that there are stacked laws (if you will) that @ each level have a different meaning....it just depends on which level you are violating & if they wish to keep checking above & beyond that????

Believe me, I have tried to state my case on a few occasions thinking I knew what I was talking about (fresh outta school) & the sad thing is.......even if you are right? it pisses them off & they will find something...I remember in KY I was hauling a 53 fter box & got stopped....I was all full of knowledge & I expressed my self.....yep driver you know so much cept our 9th hole law uhh?

I was like WTF............. well @ that time in KY they had a bridge rule (pertaining to tandems) & I was in the 10th hole on my sliding rear tandems a big no no!!! he let me off easy with a $250.00 fine...so he said!! What Im saying & have been is that there is book knowledge & then there is real life experience.........rather than argue (I unlike on here) rather just be safe than sorry...........sorry costs alot of money!!!

Be safe & stay healthy

I agree with you!!! however im not sure what is on the books & what is not...I tried to call the DOT auditor that did my safety inspection for some clarification on the topics gone over here........Cant get him to return my calls. what it seems like to me especially in PA, is that there are stacked laws (if you will) that @ each level have a different meaning....it just depends on which level you are violating & if they wish to keep checking above & beyond that????

Believe me, I have tried to state my case on a few occasions thinking I knew what I was talking about (fresh outta school) & the sad thing is.......even if you are right? it pisses them off & they will find something...I remember in KY I was hauling a 53 fter box & got stopped....I was all full of knowledge & I expressed my self.....yep driver you know so much cept our 9th hole law uhh?

I was like WTF............. well @ that time in KY they had a bridge rule (pertaining to tandems) & I was in the 10th hole on my sliding rear tandems a big no no!!! he let me off easy with a $250.00 fine...so he said!! What Im saying & have been is that there is book knowledge & then there is real life experience.........rather than argue (I unlike on here) rather just be safe than sorry...........sorry costs alot of money!!!

Be safe & stay healthy

True, cops can be pricks. I had a guy that worked for me take delivery of a brand new truck and got pulled over by DOT. Told him right off the bat there was noting worng with the rig, and it had just passed inspection. The guy couldn't find anyting wrong with the truck, so he finally cited the driver for having too much grease on the axel joints. Talk about a clip right out of Porky's........

I take care of a lot of waterfront properties which have limitted access. For me a bucket truck is typically useless. I'm sure that a 75' or better articulated track lift will be in my future.... just gonna take some time is all. Besides, there's always plenty of people around who have conventional bucket trucks around which can be used for roadside work if that's what the job calls for.

That's an understatement.

..................its just not worth responding to you!!! Now about tracked lifts....(cmon fatmax, give us your input...LOL)

I would go with a towable at first, however.......if you truly want a self propelled unit & access is not a problem then check out the Nifty Lift SD50....ive seen them for around 30-40K brand new...upwards of 60K+

It also depends on your area as far as recouping the money spent within the depriciation aspects of this Biz, I would never go back to a bucket truck after running the towable`s & demo`ing other self propelled units, heres why: the uses are many, I have done everything from boom up shingles, set trusses, windows, gutters, chimney sweep, rescue cats, etc... I have in times that were slow for me rented the unit out with it being mandatory that I am present during operation!!! the foot print is very light & the reach comparable............not many want a huge bucket truck in their back yard...if you could even get it there!

Now...to sell the unit as compared to a Bucket Truck.......its much easier to sell them!! Bucket trucks for tree work are viewed as job specific & in this economy people want diversity.........which is what makes the towables & self propelled units wanted IMHO!

LXT................

..................its just not worth responding to you!!! Now about tracked lifts....(cmon fatmax, give us your input...LOL)

I would go with a towable at first, however.......if you truly want a self propelled unit & access is not a problem then check out the Nifty Lift SD50....ive seen them for around 30-40K brand new...upwards of 60K+

It also depends on your area as far as recouping the money spent within the depriciation aspects of this Biz, I would never go back to a bucket truck after running the towable`s & demo`ing other self propelled units, heres why: the uses are many, I have done everything from boom up shingles, set trusses, windows, gutters, chimney sweep, rescue cats, etc... I have in times that were slow for me rented the unit out with it being mandatory that I am present during operation!!! the foot print is very light & the reach comparable............not many want a huge bucket truck in their back yard...if you could even get it there!

Now...to sell the unit as compared to a Bucket Truck.......its much easier to sell them!! Bucket trucks for tree work are viewed as job specific & in this economy people want diversity.........which is what makes the towables & self propelled units wanted IMHO!

LXT................

But ya did anyway.:msp_sneaky:

LXT................

Well said.

But I would rather have a nice clean bucket truck rolling around with my name on it for company presence alone. Of course if money wasn't an object, I's also rock a Teupen.

I do Agree about people wanting diversity in this economy. See my last post on the use of "mini's" vs small bobcat for tree work alone in the "question on mini's" thread.

Yeah the nice thing about a bucket is the advertising..........its the size of a billboard!! nice topic about the Mini`s

LXT............

A bucket truck would be able to access only 20% of the coconut palms at the hotels I trim at. In fact, I got 165 palms at a hotel contracted to me because the other contractor could not get to them with his 75 ft. bucket truck and the hotel did not want them climbed with spikes. Four other tree companies have subbed me for bucket work in places not accessible to their lift. For me, a spiderlift is the only way to go. It really depends on each tree company's situation as to the choice of lift.

As far as the boom speed goes, I turned up the controls to their max after the warranty period was over. Been that way for a year and a half and no problems and the bucket moves twice as fast as before, close to 80% of a bucket truck's speed.

I guess nobody really wants to talk about tracked lifts.

Wow, did this thread get off subject.

I have a Genie articulated lift that I have used for personal tree work and it has been handy for me. It does not go high enough for you pro Tree Men (50 ft ) but I use it mainly for roof work.

Also not tracked but large flotation tires and is 4 wheel drive.

Tracked Aerial Lift other option

Take a look to UPequip.ca. We have rent one 70' and one 100' for a special job. The selling price are a lot cheaper than
the previous quote we got last year. Pretty impressive product. We dont know if we gonna buy.

The poorly written reference you cited confirms my statements:

"If you have a truck that is 26,000 lbs. and hook it to trailer that is exactly 10,000 lbs. rated....do you need a CDL? NO!!
Why? Because neither of the vehicles exceed the "1" lb. even though they are over the 26,000!!"

And with that note, I'll say no more on the topic.

Well................technically NO! but you are a QMC( qualified motor carrier) and you will need a medical card, also you will need to register for US DOT number & will want to check with your state as to whether you need to register as a combination.

If your truck weighs 26 thousand unladen you most certainly will need a CDL cause that vehicles Laden weight is more than 26,001.......if we are talking the trucks gross weight rating meaning truck without load weight + the load equaling 26,000 I will gaurantee you will still want a CDL cause as soon as your ass hits the seat you are over weight my man!

The 1 pound rule you are throwing around will get you burned.............do you really wanna laugh at MR. DOT thinking you got him by 1 pound? better safe than sorry! I went round with a guy on here bout regs & the FMCSR............bottom line he thinks he was right & I think im right, you`ll find out when ya get pulled over or hit the scales & ive been through both many times thank god that I did things the way I did cause my paper work is always clean, manifests are spot on & the truck, my license & all else were in order!

LXT............

Back