Trailer Salesman

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone...

Can you add insight to my recent salesperson experience?

I purchased a new Dump trailer and I'm super excited. I have always wanted one and can make a long list of all the benefits of adding this to my firewood processing system.

During my 3 month search I visited 4 different trailer sales' businesses and met a lot of nice sales people. I stopped at Company X and dealt with a salesman who was nice but, evidently, didn't think I was a serious buyer...I never heard back from him even though I gave him my cell and email. All the other company's I went to I had multiple follow up contacts from the salesperson helping me zero in on my decision.

Ironically, the trailer I eventually decided on was from Company X. So, I returned and was greeted by a different salesman when I walked into the showroom. He was nice, made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so I bought the trailer. During this visit I saw the original salesman but he didn't seem to notice me or remember me.

BTW...I made it a point to contact all the other salespeople I dealt with to let them know I went with a different company and that I was grateful for their help. I didn't want to leave them with any uncertainty.

Anyhow...should I feel any guilt by not asking for the original salesman when I returned to Company X? For whatever reason I don't feel any guilt.

I lay my actions upon the AS Firewood Jury.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Joe

No. Don't feel bad at all. They are in sales, they have to work a little bit to earn your business. I am trying to buy a telehandler/forklift to use for our storage shed business and the firewood operation. The local guys won't even return a phone call, all of the out of state guys are bending over backwards to get my business. It gets really frustrating some times.

Agreed with above. You didn't take his commission from him and give it to another salesman. He threw the commission away by not following up. If you hadn't given him your contact info, I might change my opinion a little bit, but not much.

Maybe I'm not real nice or just generally too busy to even consider worrying about who I didn't buy from.

Nope, I figure it this way if he didn't have time for you then you don't need to waste time on him.

I worked on commission sales for over 20 years and I was number 1 @ Follow up.
I once followed a lady thru 2 different dealerships and 12 broken appointments.
My motto was I follow-up with you until you: BUY--DIE--or LIE!
That guy was not a "REAL SALESMAN!
You owe him nothing...he failed on his job to follow up!

Thanks for your replies. I feel better now. I try to be as up front as possible but...sometimes I don't feel the situation warrants it. I went with a 10 ft Griffin. It is 9990 GVWR and comes with ramps. Its selling point to me was it is 10 gauge steel,2 piece construction...it has the welded seam running up the center of the bed. Two rams, power up/power down. I was looking at Bri Mar, Load trail, and Appalachian. They all had their +'s and -'s and I probably would have been fine with any of them but given the price, and features, the Griffin was for me. What swayed me from Bri Mar was the fact that every used Bri Mar I see looks like $%&(... must be the paint? I didn't like the welds and some of the metal work on the Appalachian and the Load Trail was too pricey...Knowing how much work my dumper will get, and how it will be babied by me, the Griffin made sense. I pick it up this week. I will post pics if you want to see it. Thanks again!

Thanks for your replies. I feel better now. I try to be as up front as possible but...sometimes I don't feel the situation warrants it. I went with a 10 ft Griffin. It is 9990 GVWR and comes with ramps. Its selling point to me was it is 10 gauge steel,2 piece construction...it has the welded seam running up the center of the bed. Two rams, power up/power down. I was looking at Bri Mar, Load trail, and Appalachian. They all had their +'s and -'s and I probably would have been fine with any of them but given the price, and features, the Griffin was for me. What swayed me from Bri Mar was the fact that every used Bri Mar I see looks like $%&(... must be the paint? I didn't like the welds and some of the metal work on the Appalachian and the Load Trail was too pricey...Knowing how much work my dumper will get, and how it will be babied by me, the Griffin made sense. I pick it up this week. I will post pics if you want to see it. Thanks again!
in sales you have to be aggressive...ironically how it turned out, it was his loss and hopefully your gain...hope it works out well for you...cheers!!

I work with 25 different salesman on a daily basis and we are the biggest in the 5 state area at what we do. Our shortest tenured guy is a little over 2 years and half of our staff has been at it over 7. In our store he would be SOL. Not to follow up is not doing your job when it comes to sales. You should feel no remorse or guilt. Congrats on the new trailer.

Some sales people deal in volume and are too quick to judge and quicker to move on to the next fish in the sea. Like the old saying you can walk up to 10 women and ask them for sex, they don't all have to say yes all you need is one of them to say yes. I once was looking for a new snowmobile and the local dealer figured I was just window shopping so I went to a competing dealer a little farther away and bought my sled there. Drove back to the 1st dealer with the sled in the back of my truck, parked in front of the showroom window and then went in window shopping for a helmet. They didn't have one I liked even after trying on a whole bunch. Every time I buy a new toy I make a point of going there and buying some small cheap little part for it just to let them know they lost more business. I might go there tomorrow and buy something just to make me smile. Getting old is fun sometimes.

I picked up a 14' griffin last winter..

f255453cc57994c1e8ae81d9f0648420.jpg

I see these everyday come in and out of the landfill. Most look like death worn over but they keep going. They used to be sold and marketed as Legend trailers. I have a couple co workers that have these and park them side by side and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Back