Training video, felling a side leaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekka

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Finally got the perfect specimen for the job, side leaner and side weighted.

We use the adjusted gun technique along with a side rope.

2 camera angles, slow motion, detailed so if anyones wondering about this now wonder no longer.

My only additional bit of advice would be to put a little steam on the side rope. I purposefully had it a little slack so it wouldn't radically influence the trees fall just for vid but as I finished the back cut the saw got pinched.

Anyway, a good show.

4.40mins and 23.4mb WMV

http://www.palmtreeservices.com.au/video/sidelean.wmv

First class training video, Eric. Very helpful.

Was the saw pinch due to the side lean or was there some weight to the back?

It pinched the nose of the bar due to the side lean. It was also weighted to the side.

Very interesting Ekka. Thank you for posting up.

Boy, I would have been running as soon as I had that saw unpinched...if not before!

Hi Ekka,
Nice job on the side leaner,I noticed that you tied your 90 deg rope of at the front bumper of the truck,be careful ive seen roo bars rip clean off during recovery of a 4wd drive,If you are going to do more re inforce behind the bar across the chassis so if it shock loads it'll handle it,please don't take this as a pick at your work, it would a pain in the butt to have to pay the excess for the cost of a small mod.
All The Best

nice training video just one question would a bore cut have worked better possibly not pinching the saw? or do you need to cut from behind to start the tree swinging on the side rope?

CRN Tree said:
nice training video just one question would a bore cut have worked better possibly not pinching the saw? or do you need to cut from behind to start the tree swinging on the side rope?

I've been waiting for it and finally BINGO, yes a bore cut would have been better.

Set up the hinge and cut backwards till thru. Also you could have left a strap, wedged the bore and then cut the strap.

So, you get a prize, pic attached, just PM me your details and it'll arrive in the post. Good one.

attachment.php

You really make me want to start taking my video camera on the job with me. You folks down under use the coolest words. I never heard anyone call a highway cone a witches hat. Also you always have a good taste in music.

You really make me want to start taking my video camera on the job with me. You folks down under use the coolest words. I never heard anyone call a highway cone a witches hat. Also you always have a good taste in music.

Haha, around these parts if ya asked a groundy to grab a few cones he'd be like a THer looking for a buzz, if ya know what I mean. lol :hmm3grin2orange:

Did you cut your hinge at a bit of an angle to the notch or did you just cut parallel? I'm curious if that tree could have been done with the tapered hinge technique...

Tapered hinge would not have held that up, as it was it leaned on the saw in the back cut.

Scarf was dead horizontal, you could see it was lined up level with the fence.

180 deg to 90 ;)

You don't necessarily need a level to pick, Horizontal..the top of the fence like ,Ekka says,you can also pick it from the brickwork,the eve line,even the horizon just to name a few..some bush techniques work then and they will work into the future..just remember the old saying there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Train vid

Not trying to be a nitwit. When I train I teach my guys to eliminate all unknowns. When you throw that much wood you bring a hop. I have some idea whats gonna happen when it hops, but I don't know exactly whats going to happen. So go low and use a wide scarf, don't throw it lay it down. I also like as much leverage as I can generate when pulling over trees. Let the physics work for you as much as possible. All that being said, factors change from tree to tree sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. As I say, thats why they pay me the big bucks. My question was posed on the basis of finding out if there was some technical reason you made a 'more' dangerous cut in a training video.

Good stuff, though.

Back