Training video, felling a side leaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pay no attention to the nitwit!

Apparently he is so busy making the big bucks that he forgot to pay attention to the focus of the video---"felling a side leaner." Nitwit-you don't need to nit pick the genius from down under!

Hey Nitwit (I really think you need to change that name though).

Do you fell more trees than you climb?

You see, if you climb a lot of trees and cut them down you'd have no problem cutting at that height when you are blocking down. In fact your working range is around chest ht.

Also, hopping? What are you doing hanging around the butt if this occurs, once the trees going you clear out ... you aint there. I use the hopping technique up trees to hop them over obsticles like garden edges, fences, lights etc, perfecting this technique whilst in the tree earns you big bucks cause whilst others stuff around blocking down something I've bombed it out wholus bolus over a fence etc. Hopping is good, it gets the butt of the tree away from the stump. ;)

a thousand experts in a thousand fields...

if youre felling for timber or in a dense stand where you are likely to get hung up then cutting close to the ground for the 'extra leverage' is advisable.

uk training courses in tree felling are based on forestry (logging) methods, and you would fail your test for cutting above ground level...

but when felling a tree purely for the purposes of removing it, it is usually easier to cut a bit higher so you can make and see all your cuts without having to crouch/squat/piddle around in the dirt...

somewhere between knees and nipples works best for me

Train vid

I have to tell you, I think you've been hanging around here too much. I am not trying to discredit anything you did. I'm not trying to question your abilities in any way, shape, or form. You have have certainly proven your knowledge and your abilities many times over on this site. Hell, I'm on the other side of the world and I'd recommend you to anyone who needs work done. Sorry to say it but that's not true of everyone on this site. I simply was asking, why making things more dangerous than they need to be. It may not be for you, or me, or some of the experienced arborists on this site, but it is more dangerous. I hop buts all the time, but never with out a reason. If climbing a removal, I'll cut anywhere, any how, "I" feel is the most safe, and yeah sometimes it isn't safe at all, but that's the only way to make it work. When both feet are on the ground, it's different story. Then it's time to drop habits that are aquired in the air (one handed cutting.). Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.:cheers:

Great video. No reason in particular, but I've never gone in the video section here, looks like I have some catching up to do in watching all the vids you've made. Thanks...

Hour and a half to download, but learned quite a bit, will be applying on tree that fits this one well.

Will have to check out more of Ekka's seminars.

Thanks.

Cutting low, both feet on the ground, and still cutting shoulder high.
Rocked my chain bucking the tree before this one. Made for an ugly back cut.
Your high cut looked safe enough to me. In fact CDF fallers (well cutters or whatever you call them) almost allways cut high then cut the stump off close to the ground. They claim it is safer. But then I won't be taking felling lessons from them either.
The biggest reasons for low stumps in logging is to save log length and to not have high stumps in the way of skidding.

CDF fallers (well cutters or whatever you call them) almost allways cut high then cut the stump off close to the ground. They claim it is safer.

Hmmm. Cutting waist high or so, saw at a comfortable height, both feet firmly planted, spread a bit for more stability...

vs.

Squatting to get the lowest possible cut, arms stretched out using strength to lift the saw, rather than to control the saw...

I don't see how squatting could be safer, except under some very unusual circumstances.

Of course for a lumber faller, saving those few board feet is very important, and I'm not arguing against that. Just don't see how a flush cut could be safer than something done more standing up.

Joesawyer

Nice pics, what sort of tree was that?

And I take it for logging what you are doing there is spot on. Get as much as you can out of the timber.

I always cut at a comfortable height unless the logs are headed for the mill. Cutting on your knees like that and holding the saw away from your body is difficult. By the way, the notch looks odd in the second picture. It looks like the cuts don't line up and there's a little wall in the back. What's that about? Or am I seeing things?

The tree is a dead white fir.
Squating in the akward position becouse my bar wouldn't reach through form the high side and it was the only way I could cut the low side without sliding down the hill.
There is an 8" max stump highth in the contract. If I cut the stump waist high on the high side I would really be stretching to reach the low side, and then I would have to cut the stump off at 8" And then there would be an unmerchantable round laying around. On steep ground this can be dangerous to for anyone working below.
There is a gap at the back of the"notch". There are many different reasons for doing this. It gives the fibers more room to bend, it gives more room for your back cut to line up with the notch.
Also when gunning (sighting) your face (notch) cuts when your second cut is parallel to your first cut but the angles have not met, rather than cutting deeper with first cut and then the second cut until they meet and then going to the other side of the tree and repeating becouse the bar won't reach the far side, I just break the cut out with my ax. It is much easier. If any of you try this make sure it breaks out clean, if not you have to clean out any remaining pieces with your saw and ax.
If I had cut a "sipe" (a steeper third angle cut usually about half way between the hinge and the front edge of the stump). The gap would have the same effect as a wider face.

Linky no worky. Is there a new address for this video? I recall it helping me out tremendously about this same time a year ago.

:givebeer: I didn't see anything unsafe about that video at tall. what size rope was the side rope and was it cinched up real tight? Great video KING EKKa

:givebeer: I didn't see anything unsafe about that video at tall. what size rope was the side rope and was it cinched up real tight? Great video KING EKKa

How the heck are you getting that video to work? I get this error message...

Not Acceptable
An appropriate representation of the requested resource /video/sidelean.wmv could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Latest posts

Back