ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Trapping

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by Kenskip1, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Kenskip1

Kenskip1 Addicted to ArboristSite

I have been a member of this great forum for almost a year. I may permanently leave unless something can be done.I hunt deer, grouse ext. But what really gets me mad is when a social outcast has to prove that he is a man by showing pictures of Foxes caught in traps.The traps were most certainly baited. This person "Markymark" should be banned from this group.I hope that he is in compliance with the law, however this is an Arborist forum.The people at PETA would most certainly like to view this photo. I will not stoop this low, however This is most uncalled for. Thank you for your time, Ken.

2. Kenskip1

Kenskip1 Addicted to ArboristSite

The thread

The thread that I was refurring to was "Did you go into the woods today/"

3. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster TreeHouse Elder

Yah, it kinda bummed me out, too. :Monkey:

I guess you just have to have the mindset of a hunter/trapper.

4. spacemule

spacemule The Peanut Gallery

I've got to ask, do you think the traps should be unbaited? :) Seriously though, shouldn't this be in off the topic?

5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters Banned

its a part of life. now if it were dogs, like a German shepard, I'd be going absolutly out of my mind with rage here.
    I just advise you to ignore it and move on.

6. BlackSmith

BlackSmith ArboristSite Operative

You mean l can't bait my dog traps..?

7. Ryan Willock

Ryan Willock Addicted to ArboristSite

The river otter would NOT be here in North Carolina today if not for moddern trappers and the FOOT HOLD trap! Otters cannot be sucsessfully caught and kept alive in a cage type trap as they get overly stressed. Where do I get this info you ask? From a NC state wildlife biologist amonst other sources. Most people have the misconseption that the foot hold trap breaks bones when they shut which is NOT the case as I have purposely slammed MY fingers in the same ones I use on the line manny times giving demos to kids and parents. And as far as the statement regarding bait, do YOU not bait your hook when FISHING?

8. alanarbor

alanarbor AboristSite Guru

I have to second that motion. If you're going to start a discussion about the ethics of hunting/trapping it should definately be off topic.

It will get ugly quick I'm sure of that.

9. coyote556

coyote556 ArboristSite Member

I will have to chime in on this one. I would like to say that the misconception that trapping is cruel has been perpetuated by anti hunters and anti-trappers alike :confused: . I have been a trapper for years and I can say that I always do it in a humane way. Many people believe that modern traps have teeth and animals chew their legs off. These wives tails are just plain false. Modern trapping is a humane way of harvesting animals no different than hunting. Something that people should realize is that when I catch a non-target creature, I release it unharmed. No broken legs, no damage, just released. I have had non target catches, including a wondering dog of a neighbor, and it was also released unharmed, even friendly to me. I would just like people to educate themselves before jumping to conclusions. Many of the animals I trap are asleep in the trap when I arrive. ASLEEP. Ill get off my soap box. Please, just don’t automatically assume trapping is cruel.

10. Ryan Willock

Ryan Willock Addicted to ArboristSite

By the way most sets are "blind" sets meaning that they use no bait or scent to attract the animal but rather depend on a natural travel way or habit of a specific species. It is easy to set the trap in a manner to avoid catching species that you do not wish to trap, however rarley (and I do mean rarely) you might catch something for which you did not intend at which point you simply release the animal with no harm done to it. 90% of the time when I catch a fox or coon in a foot hold they are asleep when I get there to check the trap that should tell you something. Its not much differant than wearing a pair of hand cuffs, all they are is a restraining device.

11. crash/banger

crash/banger ArboristSite Operative

and hunting deer and grouse with a rifle or shotgun is an even matchup between you and the animals?.............gimme me a break!

12. spacemule

spacemule The Peanut Gallery

Why must it be an even match? That reasoning never made sense to me.

13. Locoweed

Locoweed AboristSite Guru

Whether you are for or against trapping makes no difference to me, but it sounds like Kenskip1 is trying to force his opinion on the rest of us. The fact that he doesn't like it is no excuse to start calling people names. That Pi$$es me off. If he doesn't like what was posted he can leave and take his name calling and suggestions about who should be banned with him.

14. bwalker

bwalker Resident Hack Sawbuilder Exposer

Cry me a river.....The people at PETA need to be SHOT.

15. bwalker

BTW Marky, Keep the pics coming.
    BTW Kenship, Have you ever seen what a coyote or fox looks like with scarpic(sp?) mange? Its not a pretty site and freezing to death is much less humane than being quickly dispatched after being trapped.

16. jimbo1490

jimbo1490 AboristSite Guru

Thanks to Ryan Willock and coyote556 for patiently and calmly defending the ethics of their chosen livelihood. It would have been very easy for them to get really pi$$ed off at the very accusatory tone of Kenskip1's post. Instead, a bunch of us got a bit of an education. Now we can all get along again (I hope)

Jimbo

17. bwalker

Me neither. I always like to have the deck stacked in my favour, but when hunting wild game it seldom is. Typicly they have the advantage...

18. crash/banger

crash/banger ArboristSite Operative

Spacemule I have hunted all my life I am just refering to his post that he hunts grouse and deer but thinks it is cruel to trap that's the reasoning that doesn't make sense to me.........killin's killin as long as you don't torture........it's called the cricle of life............. My dad has been trapping for over twenty years now it's no easy knack...........sorry Kenship you might as well move on or let this one go.......CB

19. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster TreeHouse Elder

People like me need people like Mark.

20. BlackSmith

BlackSmith ArboristSite Operative

l just need a bait that will yield more dogs...