Treatments for maple or sycamore anthracnose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TroutBrookTree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Are there treatments avaiable for japanese maple trees showing signs of anthracnose?
What about mature sycamore trees showing like half defoliation from anthracnose?
I am experiencing these issues in client's yards in West Hartford, Connecticut

A small tree like the jap maple can be sprayed to provide a couple weeks protection. You would have to begin spraying in spring during leaf expansion and continue all spring and probably again in fall or anytime before heavy prolonged rainfall is expected. It's extremely difficult to prevent.
I heard arborjet did a propiconazole trunk injection on a historic connecticut sycamore. I don't know how effective the treatment is though.
Fertilize and keep watered to maintain and promote health.

Sycamore and Maple ancthracnose are 2 entirely different beasts. Maple stays on the leaves and is very rarely more than aesthetic. Sycamore ancthracnose gets into the twigs. That is why you need to inject fungicide for effective control in sycamore. Protecting maple would be accomplished with foliar treatments...but I have never tried (or seen the need) to do this.

I wouldn't inject a J maple...sensitive little buggers usually. Foliar apps if possible or necessary.

Latest posts

Back