Tree Climbing Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiecutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was able to make this video as extra credit for a climbing class in college here at Weber State. The techniques you'll see are a mix between canyoneering techniques and the blake's set up. (Blake's is much easier!! but not preferred in a canyon setting).

The day was just great, and the trees were beautiful.

Some things you may notice:

-NO HELMETS! We were stupid. This won't happen again.

-Rock harnesses, ouch. The trees here in Ogden are pretty short, so we aren't in the tree for extended periods of time, and we never did a 2nd pitch, so it wasn't too much of a problem.

-We really are challenged when it comes to getting the rope in the tree...no skills...

If you see a problem in our techniques please feel free to critique, we are still learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68SuyTQLY_o

Last edited:
Reminds me of my first climbs while I was in the Forestry program up here cookiecutter... The foot loop is a great idea, just out of curiosity what diameter is your climbing line? Also for installing a rope, if you don't want to go out and buy a throwball and throwline yet, find yourself some small diameter line (like 1/16") with high tensile strength and a small weight somewhere between 12oz - 16oz. This should make installing a line much easier for you.

Heres a link you might find interesting.
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Learning-Center/Climbing_4/Throwline-Basics

looks like you guys had a good time plenty of left to learn ouch is right on that rock harness i think a 150dollar weaver would be better than that. yea get a helmet....have fun and be safe

Reminds me of my first climbs while I was in the Forestry program up here cookiecutter... The foot loop is a great idea, just out of curiosity what diameter is your climbing line? Also for installing a rope, if you don't want to go out and buy a throwball and throwline yet, find yourself some small diameter line (like 1/16") with high tensile strength and a small weight somewhere between 12oz - 16oz. This should make installing a line much easier for you.

Heres a link you might find interesting.
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Learning-Center/Climbing_4/Throwline-Basics

Thanks for the link! There is some good info there.

The golden rope is 8.3mm, the red 8mm. We like em skinny in canyoneering. They are also both very stiff. I realize they aren't ideal for tree climbing. I can foresee a tree line in my future.

I'm sure its weight rated for at least 5k lbs, just thinkin along the lines of handling... the 1/2" stuff is much easier to handle when climbing on a double rope system. Get yourself some tree line and a harness with some wider leg straps or a bosun seat if you start spending serious time up there. You'll love the difference it makes. So are you actually in school for canyoneering? Thats pretty cool, is it specifically climbing or like an "Outdoor Adventure" type program?

I'm sure its weight rated for at least 5k lbs, just thinkin along the lines of handling... the 1/2" stuff is much easier to handle when climbing on a double rope system. Get yourself some tree line and a harness with some wider leg straps or a bosun seat if you start spending serious time up there. You'll love the difference it makes. So are you actually in school for canyoneering? Thats pretty cool, is it specifically climbing or like an "Outdoor Adventure" type program?

Ya, I will definitely be investing in the gear. Harness pain never really gets to me, but the other day after being in the tree for a bit I came home to a bruised hamstring.

As for the class, I wish I just went to school for canyoneering - that'd be great. You nailed it though, its an outdoor adventure program. Its one of my minors in college

Your throwing reminds me of me a few years back. You can get more height on your monkey fist by pulling a bight out of the top of it and use it to swing the fist like a pendulum before throwing. See page 31 of Jepson's Tree Climber's Companion, "Open form monkey fist". The nice thing about the open form fist is that it falls apart after it goes over the target. A closed form fist can get hung, it's fine if you're throwing over a clean limb. Monkey fist is good for advancing the rope once you're up in the tree too. I pretty much never use a closed form when I'm in a tree, a hung rope can be a significant problem when you're off the ground.
-moss

Back