Tree Harvesting in Mass.?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smcgill

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have several large , straight Oak that I would like removed.
They are alive and wood make great lumber.
Is there someone that you have used and would recommend?
Would be a waist just cutting up for firewood. :chop:
Thanks for your help.
Sean

Kinda depends on what type of oak it is. Is it on a fence line or in a yard (if so, I doubt you would have many takers-their is a big risk of metal being in the wood, which would ruin a sawmill blade), how accessible is the wood, and where is it located in relation to a road? I'm not a logger, so take what I say with a grain of salt lol.

They would have to be exceptional specimens to make it profitable to move equipment then transport the logs from just several trees.

They would have to be exceptional specimens to make it profitable to move equipment then transport the logs from just several trees.

Kinda depends on what type of oak it is. Is it on a fence line or in a yard (if so, I doubt you would have many takers-their is a big risk of metal being in the wood, which would ruin a sawmill blade), how accessible is the wood, and where is it located in relation to a road? I'm not a logger, so take what I say with a grain of salt lol.

What they said. Also, do you just want them removed, for free, or are you looking to sell them? Where are they and does the site need to be cleaned up after the logs are out? Are they near buildings, power lines, fences, roads? Yard/fence trees are avoided due to things like barbed wire, horse shoes, etc imbedded in the trunk. When in doubt a metal detector helps but it's best to sacrifice the bottom 6' of the trunk.

Post some pictures of the trees and site.

There might be someone with a portable mill near you that would be interested. Try the milling forum here and some portable mill manufacturers have owner lists you can can contact about milling.

If someone is not willing to come take/buy the logs you might be able to hire a portable mill to cut them up for your own use. But you will need a plan to dry/store them or have them taken to be kilned.

Back