Tree I'd please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homemade

Certified Chainsaw Tester
Reaction score
I need some help identifying the tree in my back yard.
d76fc5aa53513d2b92b6710493261ccf.jpg

f5bd2123b20ea30fdbf7b9fcdb91fc6d.jpg

da551b2c7014e2935eafa38f4aa89c20.jpg

I think it's a type of locust but no thorns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any flowers? If its a locust w/o thorns it may be robinia psudoacacia 'Purple Robe' which has pinkish purple sweet pea like flowers.

Any flowers? If its a locust w/o thorns it may be robinia psudoacacia 'Purple Robe' which has pinkish purple sweet pea like flowers.

No flowers at this time. I really don't believe it has any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been looking at leaves of the thornless locust and I'm not convinced that's what this is.
The leaves just don't look similar enough to me...
Here's an enlargement of theOP leaves:
da551b2c7014e2935eafa38f4aa89c20.jpg

And here's the thornless honey locust. These are more rounded and not "feathery" at the tip.

They just don't look the same to me.
Edit: definitely Not the locust - after looking at the enlarges second image, you can see those leaves are opposite and what the OP has the leaves are alternate.

I've been looking at leaves of the thornless locust and I'm not convinced that's what this is.
The leaves just don't look similar enough to me...
Here's an enlargement of theOP leaves:
View attachment 506745

And here's the thornless honey locust. These are more rounded and not "feathery" at the tip.

They just don't look the same to me.
Edit: definitely Not the locust - after looking at the enlarges second image, you can see those leaves are opposite and what the OP has the leaves are alternate.
Good point - note the leaf attachment - Alternate instead of opposite.

I believe that is a Black or possibly yellow locust. The bark on a mature honey locust is more deeply fissured and the habit in the crown closely resembles ones I've worked in. Also have seen the alternating leaves on blacks never on a honey.

Back