Tree Identification pt. 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezemyr1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been searching for trees to plant on my property. I found these two trees growing nearby in long leaf pine forest. I popped a sample from the branches of each tree. The first leaf belongs to a tree with smooth greyish bark like a sycamore. The bark of this tree is peeling off in long vertical strips.

Now the second photo. This tree was about 30' tall and had full size branches that began growing a foot above the ground and extended 15' out and in every direction around the trunk. I didn't know it was a tree until I was right in front of it( I thought it was a group of bushes) because the leaves were so dense and touched the ground.

Any help would be appreciated. I've tried checking the databases of different websites of Florida Universities but they don't provide pictures. It would take hours or days to check every name against Google. I figured I'd bring it to the experts and see if you guys could help.

Attachments

• 20170308_190847.jpg
    20170308_190847.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • 20170308_190926.jpg
    20170308_190926.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
I just looked up some images of the names you suggested. The bottle brush is a possibility but the other is definitely not a privet. I'll take some picture of the actual trees and add them to this thread tomorrow.

I've identified the tree in the first photo as Paperbark. Class I invasive species in Florida so I won't be planting that one. The tree in the second photo is still a mystery. Here are some additional pictures.

Attachments

• 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
Ok, I'll play. The top is bottle brush and the bottom is a species of privet. You do like your invasives.
It appears I do like the invasive species. We're surrounded by pine forests. Flat land with nothing but long leaf pines. So when I see a tree that isn't a pine I get excited and want to plant it. It so happens that these tress are devastating our area and should be cut down instead of propagated.

Don't worry. I grew up in Florida and loved those dirty camphor trees. Years after transplanting several I learned they are an invasive.

The tree in your pick kind of looks like a bay species? It also looks very much like viburnum since the leaves are opposite. I am not an expert in trees I am just obsessed learning about them.

Don't worry. I grew up in Florida and loved those dirty camphor trees. Years after transplanting several I learned they are an invasive.

The tree in your pick kind of looks like a bay species? It also looks a like viburnum. I am not an expert in trees I am just obsessed learning about them.

The tree in your pick kind of looks like a bay species? It also looks a like viburnum. I am not an expert in trees I am just obsessed learning about them.
I'm a transplant from Maryland and have been here a few years. It's very different here then back north and I love learning as much about the ecosystem. I may take my leaf sample and pictures to a botanical garden that recently opened. Perhaps they can suggest some native trees to plant instead of this crap shoot I've been doing.
Do the leaves have a smooth edge and not serrated?
Yes, smooth edge.

The first pic looks like what we call butterfly bush although some also call it bottle brush.
The second looks like a laurel to me, can't really tell whether its a bay laurel or a Portuguese laurel.

Still have not identified the tree in the second pic. I will update this thread when I figure this one out. I finally have plans to visit the botanical garden this coming Sunday and will take a small leaf and branch sample with me.

Scratch that request for more pics.... after looking at the pics more closely and with bigger SCREEN, im gonna stick with my first thought of ficus.... maybe microcarpa.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back