tree or a bush?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunfoolio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if I want to cut it down. If tree it stays weed it goes.

Attachments

• 20150701_184922.jpg
    20150701_184922.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
  • 20150701_184915.jpg
    20150701_184915.jpg
    999 KB · Views: 120
Wow no comments. It will even be helpful if you can tell me that you can not identify it as a tree that you are familiar with. Its 10ft tall and about 2-3 years old

The closer up picture of the leaves doesn't look quite like cottonwood to me; the leaves would maybe be a little more triangular shaped. Deltoid shaped if you wish. Cottonwood is Populus deltoides. But definitely a poplar; could still be cottonwood. Cottonwood gets to being a big tree.

Where is it located? That can be an important clue.

The closer up picture of the leaves doesn't look quite like cottonwood to me; the leaves would maybe be a little more triangular shaped. Deltoid shaped if you wish. Cottonwood is Populus deltoides. But definitely a poplar; could still be cottonwood. Cottonwood gets to being a big tree.

Where is it located? That can be an important clue.

On a side of a hill that was cleared of trees about 3 years ago. I took a look at some pictures and it could be it. Just seems like a giant weedy bush to me at this point. Well there is a lot of them. I guess I will know in the fall and see if the leaves fall off. Thank you for your help/

It's definitely a poplar (populus) of some sort. I'm guessing White Poplar or Bigtooth Aspen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a side of a hill that was cleared of trees about 3 years ago. I took a look at some pictures and it could be it. Just seems like a giant weedy bush to me at this point. Well there is a lot of them. I guess I will know in the fall and see if the leaves fall off. Thank you for your help/
Maybe they meant which part of the world are you located?

Yes, what part of the world, but also specific habitat can all provide clues. Urban/suburban often means you have to consider that it could be non-native. The picture does look like regrowth from a stump; consistent with poplar. Really there is no doubt it is a poplar, just which species. Also, some trees were promoted for windbreaks and such and could have been planted out of their native areas and out in the country, not just urban/suburban.

Back