tree spikes.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am an evil rulebreaker. I use a double locking snap on my climbing line but I prefer my old, quick attaching, non locking snaps on my lanyard. :alien:

I like the light Bashlins with the Velcro wraps; very light and comfortable.

Though, even on removals, barely wear'em; except in shear, non- scaffolded verticals or catching tops on the same spar; they just get in my way! They are heavier, and i used to use them all the time; but having them on seems to be a skill; that i don't stay to sharp on anymore. You can catch an ankle with them, not to mention garden hoses on the ground if you walk in them. The longer the more chances of that, and the harder to keep sharp, from them dragging on everything. Sometimes i would have a trainee, practice going up a pine removal several times and tying in etc. to practice, even a full drop, that is how little we use spikes! We sometimes use the lifeline as a second lanyard on the way up, and always have a lifeline redirect (Safety'biner and sling) for 3rd optional atatchment, sometimes that is quicker to whip around and lock than a lifeline, as momentary stand-in for lanyard attatchment when going around an obstacle branch.

We 'ladder off' the first 24' most of the time, a fair amount of the time we can get into fair scaffolding of the tree from there. Usually have a life-line thrown in from ground waiting there, unless it is just a few steps to put it in from there on nicely scaffolded branching. Not much on not being tied in while off ground. Sometimes i tie friction hitch in at ground, with knot tender, and pull friction hitch to top of ladder to immediately snap in from there. If spiking a pine removal; i will pull that tended friction hitch up to the first branching, that i would have to disconnect lanyard to get around; and click in there before removing lanyard!

We stay tied in so much some times i have Tiny(300#) + branch friction belaying my 135# up the ladder! Sometimes even spiking up from there, getting very good eye contact every time i release my lanyard for an obstacle. Even then i try to straddle something with a leg or armpit, and have 3point contact, not depending on him. But i consider that cheating, so it is rare, and short. Sometimes, even if i don't have to release lanyard, i have him belay anyway! It's just too easy, and he can help too! If, there is about no branching on a vertical spar removal, (palm/pine) i will give the lanyard a roundturn before snapping in; so it is 'deadmanned', by the choking ring, that i hold open with fingers when moving.

i beleieve in safety snaps, and being so familiar with them that you can work as quick as non. Always visually check the snap in D-ring, not going by sound or feel! Outthink the situation and stay safe!

Back