Truckload of logs upstate NY prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmagill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been buying a truckload of logs from a local trucking company for the last 3 seasons. (Binghamton NY area) I buck and split it and it lasts a season in my OWB. Good hardwood. I pay $600 for the truckload that usually yields about 6 cords. Do any of the other folks on this board near me have any idea if the price is a good deal?

Thanks

I'm bout 100 miles NE of you, $100 a cord for log length has been the going rate here for the last couple of years.

I would agree that the price is about right. I know of one guy that sells a tri-axle load for $525, and another that sells 6 cord for $600, or if you buy 12 cord at once, its $1100. All of this is log length, not processed.

wheeew that sounds steep, for a product that the loggers only pay about 10-15 bucks a cord to the landowner. I was at my buddies log yard the other day and he had just gotten a triaxle load with a pup trailer and the trucker, who I know, said he only gets about 225 bucks for trucking.
I will ask my buddy to talk to a couple of the locals and see what he could get a load for.

I am about 30 miles west of Binghamton and that sounds just about right for this area. My brother hauls equipment for a logger, and he trades his hauling for loads of logs- I think he figures about $500 of trucking work for a load-but he takes the loads whenever the logger is working close by and can get cheaper trucking.

Will

Last edited:
wheeew that sounds steep, for a product that the loggers only pay about 10-15 bucks a cord to the landowner. I was at my buddies log yard the other day and he had just gotten a triaxle load with a pup trailer and the trucker, who I know, said he only gets about 225 bucks for trucking.
I will ask my buddy to talk to a couple of the locals and see what he could get a load for.

$30 a cord to have it fell & cut to length,$20 to have it hauled out of the woods,$20 for trucking plus the $10-15 for stumpage. no one in the wood business is getting rich !

I have been buying a truckload of logs from a local trucking company for the last 3 seasons. (Binghamton NY area) I buck and split it and it lasts a season in my OWB. Good hardwood. I pay $600 for the truckload that usually yields about 6 cords. Do any of the other folks on this board near me have any idea if the price is a good deal?

Thanks

Where are you in the Binghamton area? My tree company services all of Broome and parts of Tioga. We're always looking to sell excess wood from our tree jobs for cheap. If you're not out of the way we normally only charge $75 for a load from our chip truck. About 2 cords worth.

price sounds about right for the finger lakes area. still too rich for my blood sweat and tears so i hump it all out of my own woods for free. gad bless the OWB, last two years heating bill has been the sum of bar and chain oil... we wont count the sticker price of the 441 Magnum :hmm3grin2orange:

Or is it all pine or willow :msp_unsure:

Brian

Only the highest grade willow on the market. lol No, the $75 is my hardwood prices, usually $50 for Silver Maple or Poplar. Pine, spruce, willow, boxelder and the like I give away if someone wants it. Price isn't really fixed either, depends where you are in proximity to my jobsite, whether you'll take monster chunks and logs, if you take anything, etc. I'm generally pretty loose with my pricing. This isn't a money maker for me, I mainly just want it off the truck and try to recoup a little of my fuel expenses in the process. If you're close enough and don't cause me hassles, you get good deals on the wood.

How could you go wrong with those prices

Only the highest grade willow on the market. lol No, the $75 is my hardwood prices, usually $50 for Silver Maple or Poplar. Pine, spruce, willow, boxelder and the like I give away if someone wants it.

If I lived in your area I would be all over that deal :rock: I know cutting wood down is fun but to have the pieces dropped at your door would be less work.

Brian

Only the highest grade willow on the market. lol No, the $75 is my hardwood prices, usually $50 for Silver Maple or Poplar. Pine, spruce, willow, boxelder and the like I give away if someone wants it.

If yer ever in So. Madison County doing job hit me up I'll take bout anything for those prices!:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back