True or False??? A cord of rounds...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishiwasdiving

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
If you start with a "full cord of rounds" 4x4x8, and split them, your finished product will be smaller than the cord of rounds you started with? (The smaller you split, the more wood is in an actual measured cord?)

If you where going down to a tooth pic size than the answer is yes, But a normal firewood stacking you will have more......And some stackers are better than others so this will change depending on the stacker.

If you start with a "full cord of rounds" 4x4x8, and split them, your finished product will be smaller than the cord of rounds you started with? (The smaller you split, the more wood is in an actual measured cord?)

(1) Take a bunch of raw carrots, cross cut them into 2" to 3" lengths and pack them into an ordinary Mason jar.

(2) Dump them out and slice them all along their length into quarters, sixths, and/or eighths like French fries. Use a French fry slicer if you have one.

You will never get the carrots back into that same jar. Case dismnissed.

How come when I dig a fence post hole, put in a post and refill with the dirt from the hole there is never enough dirt to refill the hole completely???:confused:

Damm I don't belive it, I just switched on the heat pump...

Last edited:
Yet Another "real world" Example

The carrot model predicts well, but my buddy and I tried the real thing. I filled my Ranger truck with the side boards in place with big rounds mounded up about cab high and carried them to his empty truck where the splitter was waiting.

We split all of the rounds into logs and started packing my truck back up. After filling mine to the brim and then some, we still almost filled his Ranger half full with the remaining split logs. And, that was after about half of the bark fell off that we threw into sacks for kindling.

I really appreciate Woodbooga taking the time to cut up all those dowel rods and re-stack them again. I just don't see a huge amount of difference,but then again with my own wood I try (try being the key word) to stack what we call all nighters in with the split stuff so as the stack goes down we get night wood without making it another pile.
Of course I don't stack mine in a building of any kind I use a tarp so room isn't a concern.

I really appreciate Woodbooga taking the time to cut up all those dowel rods and re-stack them again. I just don't see a huge amount of difference,but then again with my own wood I try (try being the key word) to stack what we call all nighters in with the split stuff so as the stack goes down we get night wood without making it another pile.
Of course I don't stack mine in a building of any kind I use a tarp so room isn't a concern.

I'd love to take credit for that experiment, but I can't. That was CurlyCherry.

I'm of the opinion that the more a round is split, the more volume is needed to store the split wood.

This time of year, I'm dealing with a lot of folks buying camp wood for their second homes. Not real woodburners per se. They like allotta small stuff that "catches easy." Kind of difficult explaining that they're getting less wood when it's split real small the way they like it.

Splitting firewood is just like that.
If you have a pickup all you can hold with rounds, you split them, you have the same wood (minus bark/splinters), it just takes more space to hold it.
It will even weigh less as you take the bark off ect...

I always thought one of the easiest analogies to picture was from...EricJeep I think? not sure....but imagine taking a round that fits perfectly in a 5 gallon buck....now split it and try to put it back in....good luck, not going to happen

I always thought one of the easiest analogies to picture was from...EricJeep I think? not sure....but imagine taking a round that fits perfectly in a 5 gallon buck....now split it and try to put it back in....good luck, not going to happen

but trailers are square, not round
and wood is round, not square

Thanks for the posts!

Your replys were all great! Especially the thread about Ken and Barbie and there divorse!!! I didn't know thiss was such a hot topic.
So now the other question! A couple posts mentioned "propperly stacking" the wood. Is there an industry standard or special technique for how to split and stack a piece of wood? Shape? Size? Positioning? Silly questions but I have to learn it sooner or later.

(1) Take a bunch of raw carrots, cross cut them into 2" to 3" lengths and pack them into an ordinary Mason jar.

(2) Dump them out and slice them all along their length into quarters, sixths, and/or eighths like French fries. Use a French fry slicer if you have one.

You will never get the carrots back into that same jar. Case dismnissed.

But if you put them into a blender and make carrot juice . . .

Your replys were all great! Especially the thread about Ken and Barbie and there divorse!!! I didn't know thiss was such a hot topic.
So now the other question! A couple posts mentioned "propperly stacking" the wood. Is there an industry standard or special technique for how to split and stack a piece of wood? Shape? Size? Positioning? Silly questions but I have to learn it sooner or later.

When I was a kid I worked part time stacking wood for an old man (probably about the age I am now). One day he came over and looked at one of my stacks and said' Boy, I don't mind a rabbit running through a stack once in a while. But I don't want the dog to be able to follow it.
I've alway's considered that as a rule of thumb, but I suppose it could be an "industry standard" :laugh:

Andy

When I was a kid I worked part time stacking wood for an old man (probably about the age I am now). One day he came over and looked at one of my stacks and said' Boy, I don't mind a rabbit running through a stack once in a while. But I don't want the dog to be able to follow it.
I've alway's considered that as a rule of thumb, but I suppose it could be an "industry standard" :laugh:

Andy

My father-in-law (age 82) once told me that a big insult when he was a kid was to say you had been over at someones place watching the rabbits running through their woodpile.

Back