Truper - as good as Friskars x27?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried these?

Truper 4-1/2 lb. Rapid Maul with 36 in. Double Injected Fiberglass Handle

21RukkolXhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Truper 4-1/2 lb. Rapid Maul with 36 in. Double Injected Fiberglass Handle - 1016148 | Tractor Supply Company

I've got a red handled tru temper just like it and I use it more than my 8lb maul been using it for 2 years and still like it. have no idea compared to a X27 fiskars. Of course if I wasn't so cheap I might get out and get a fiskars since I have yet to hear a bad thing about them except for using in wet wood.

The only thing better is the price. The Truper's wedge design works good on easy to split stuff, but when the going gets a little tougher, the Truper wants to stick in the wood when the Fiskars will either split through or come back out easily. I won't go back.

Edit: The Truper design "throws" the splits farther when you get a clean split. That can be a pain in the rear when you have to resplit pieces.

Those have come up in a few other threads. Some guys have them and seem to love them, but there have also been a few guys who have had problems with the heads coming loose, which is something that I think has yet to be reported with the Fiskars. I could be wrong, but I don't think anybody who has owned both the Tru-Temper and the Fiskars preferred the Tru-Temper. I looked at them in HD and wasn't impressed. I didn't buy one, and generally if it's for splitting wood and has a handle I'll buy it just to try.

The only thing better is the price. The Truper's wedge design works good on easy to split stuff, but when the going gets a little tougher, the Truper wants to stick in the wood when the Fiskars will either split through or come back out easily. I won't go back.

Edit: The Truper design "throws" the splits farther when you get a clean split. That can be a pain in the rear when you have to resplit pieces.

everything steve said +1.

It will also cause dents in the woodshed from splitting too close :bang:
can somebody write me a note so I can go buy a X27 without getting in trouble with the "Misses"

The vibration in the handle on my true temper is really bad. Hurts to take a good swing. You can have mine if you want it. I have been using it to beat logs off the splitter wedge that get stuck but I can find something else for that.

All done with my X25 and 27 for the year so you can borrow them for a test drive if you want.

The X25 can be picked up at some hardware stores. I got my second one at Tims hardware at the intersection of 202 and 4a by the new Buxton Hannaford.

I have a red handled Ames/True Temper that looks exactly like that. After I re-profiled and sharpened the edge, I really like it. I prefer it compared to my X27. The X series Fiskars seem to narrow to me, they end up getting buried or blowing right through the round more often than the old Fiskars or my Ames/True Temper. The handle on my Ames/TT also transmits less vibration than the Fiskars handles.

Dear Mrs. Jonesy,

Please allow Jonesy to go buy an X27. If he doesn't, the vibrations from his current splitter will cause nerve damage, which will make his hands less useful when helping you do dishes. We don't want that do we?

Sincerely,

Your hubby's friends at AS.

PS - his saw vibrates awful bad, too. They make much better ones these days.

I got one similar at lowes this fall, I liked it alright, until the fiberglass cracked at the head. It looks like the head is ready to fall off.

bought an eight pound truper. used it 3 times and broke the head right off. took it back to point of purchase for full refund. took 6 years to break head off my first monster maul, and 3 years to break the second one. currently using eight pound true temper with fiberglass handle. after three outings so far so good.

I have the pic posted here somewhere, when I broke the handle off the Truper was the day I bought the Fiskars.

don't use the tupper one's to drive iron splitting wedges. cracked a big chunk off the side of the head. I liked it better then the big heavy maul because i could get more swing speed, but now i'm at a 6lb maul and it works ok but get's tiring after 2 or 3 hours. i would like a fiskers but i would rather buy it from a local dealer then online and no one sells them near me.

i went 6 hours using an 18 pound splitting maul truper brand and wasn't that tired afterwards

Latest posts

Back