"Tuning in the wood" -- define

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you all the way man! That's one reason I don't load my own centerfire ammo. It would be a never ending ordeal. I just went and tested the trigger on my Ruger Mark II slabside and it pulls at 2# 2oz:). My AR-15 was setup for varminting and the trigger is only 2 1/2 if I recall correctly.

My knives shave too. Actually I am quite obsessive about it as soon as they don't shave I find myself stropping or honing to bring the edge back. I have had one of my knives do the hanging hair test which is generally the accepted standard for determining whether a razor is ready to shave or not. I also shave with an old time straight razor

I'm with you all the way man! That's one reason I don't load my own centerfire ammo. It would be a never ending ordeal. I just went and tested the trigger on my Ruger Mark II slabside and it pulls at 2# 2oz:). My AR-15 was setup for varminting and the trigger is only 2 1/2 if I recall correctly.
Your right brad it will drive you nuts. The only problem the wife has with a new gun is the hours or days it takes to find THE "load".:laugh:

I might add that I usually just tune by ear now. I learned from this kind of testing what a saw sounds like when tuned for best performance and I just tune by ear 99% of the time. Once you develop an ear for it, you can keep an ear on your tune all day long when out working. And believe, it will change throughout the day as temp and humidity changes. You'd be surprised how much. The key to not going to lean is to make sure you still have a touch of 4-stroke when pulling the saw directly out of the cut, leaving it at WOT. This is when the saw will be at its leanest and hottest. If you're tuning to a specific RPM with a tach, that's also when you want to check it.

Well written Brad.

Hey out of interest and hopefully not too far off topic, does anybody check exhaust temps?
Reason I ask is I can currently get an awesome deal on an Infrared thermometer through my work that will measure up to 500 degrees Celcius.
I gather there would be literature somewhere to determine what the max exhaust temp is to determine if the saw may be running too lean (hot) or too rich (cold)?

Any thoughts fellas?

1/32 turn? lolol

I tuned my saws sometime the past two years... I think... and I give a damn day to day. I know if they sound about right, and "about right" is good enough... Mine are most certainly richer then "perfection", but that's how I like to run them.

In the time you guys spend tunings saws all year, I can have my wood done and beer flowing.:greenchainsaw:

A man with common sense. We need more of that around here. :cheers:

Infareds are getting cheap!

Well written Brad.

Hey out of interest and hopefully not too far off topic, does anybody check exhaust temps?
Reason I ask is I can currently get an awesome deal on an Infrared thermometer through my work that will measure up to 500 degrees Celcius.
I gather there would be literature somewhere to determine what the max exhaust temp is to determine if the saw may be running too lean (hot) or too rich (cold)?

Any thoughts fellas?

This has interested me too. Seems like if there's a breakpoint to the WOT setting, then it would stand to reason the temps should begin to run away so to speak. As the cylinder, head, and especially piston begin to not have enough cooling, then they would begin a heat spiral the should be evident in the exhaust gas temps.
I like solid numbers. Things like digital multimeters, tachs, and instant temp reading infareds are the eyes and ears for me these days.
Steve

Well written Brad.

Any thoughts fellas?

I use an EGT (exhaust gas temp) gauge to tune my car engine. Very high temp thermometer of sorts that threads into the exhaust manifold. Isn't accurate till the engine has fully warmed up but it responds fairly quick once its hot. I cant imagine tuning without it.

Measuring the muffler temps after full throttle usage would give this same type of info, and could also explain why some saws are more prone to melt down than others.

Now im curious... How hot will a wild thing muffler get before the piston starts to melt down.

1/32 turn? lolol

I tuned my saws sometime the past two years... I think... and I give a damn day to day. I know if they sound about right, and "about right" is good enough... Mine are most certainly richer then "perfection", but that's how I like to run them.

In the time you guys spend tunings saws all year, I can have my wood done and beer flowing.:greenchainsaw:

Richer at these high altitudes is a safe setting for better torque in the wood.

Back