Two Short Maples at Beach

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daninvan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just at the start of a major cold I think, but had today blocked out for milling and a couple buddies lined up so I could not stop the machine, decided to take some cold medication and head for the beach.

Good thing I did, another very decent day. A bit of overcast with a bright glow over the downtown at 8 AM.
IMG_4073_zps5306bff4.jpg

A couple short but promising logs were set up for us.
IMG_4075_zps195aa779.jpg

First was a piece of box elder that I had set aside before last summer, the other a piece of spalted maple that turned up in the log dump very recently.
IMG_4076_zpsd5ffc896.jpg

IMG_4077_zps46c93778.jpg

I was a bit concerned that the maple was maybe too far gone and starting to get punky, but the old fingernail on the end grain test seemed to indicate that it was pretty solid.

After the traditional bark peeling, we started in on the spalted maple, the first cut was promising, although I didn't care for the green tint that was evident in some places as well as the grey stain coming in from the ends in the 'sapwood'.
IMG_4078_zpsb5c98850.jpg

So we decided to keep going, having come this far it was easy to peel another slab off the log. And the slabs got better as we got a bit further into the log. The green-y bits disappeared and the stain became less evident. The nice pencil-line borders between the different colours are a nice touch
IMG_4079_zpsfd987503.jpg

Wound up with seven slabs off this log.
IMG_4081_zpsad703ce1.jpg

Next up we dug into the box elder. Which as soon as the saw touched it we realized was not box elder at all. We figure it was some kind of hard maple, and had some colouration in it, as well as 3 small nails.
IMG_4089_zpsc3baa614.jpg

Both these logs were of decent width, they were wider than the ~29" my mill can cut so we had to trim them a bit.

My bowl buddy was not keen on the hard maple, did not like the colour in it. But as we milled through it we came across a burly section, so he was happy to take a couple burl pieces for bowl blanks!
IMG_4095_zpsbd23af8d.jpg

I had the Subaru loaded up with my haul, not a lot of room to squeeze in two mills and a workmate table on top of them!
IMG_4096_zps9f53f7f5.jpg

The weather actually improved over the course of the morning, we pulled out about 11:30.
IMG_4092_zps390b238c.jpg

Nothing but a few scraps left. The guy who runs the loader says he never has to clean up after us, people always come by after we are done and grab the leftovers!
IMG_4097_zpsf2194f23.jpg

I wound up with four slabs of the spalted maple and two slabs of the hard maple, as well as three half-slabs of the hard maple.
IMG_4099_zps7d3f8fea.jpg

IMG_4098_zps46d2d87e.jpg

My bowl turning buddy took three blanks from the hard maple and a couple slabs from the spalted maple. The other guy didn't take anything, he came by on his bicycle so would have been hard pressed to carry much!

I had just picked up the saws from the shop yesterday, I took them in for service right after our last milling session as they were both giving me starting problems when warm. One of the mills worked great today, the other would not start when warm. Back to the shop for it I guess.

Not a bad haul for 3 1/2 hours of work.

I think it is so cool that you can just put your initials on a log, and everyone will leave it alone for a whole year. You have good folks there.

Fun day, did the meds make it through the entire day?
I hate milling when I feel miserable...and that seems like it always happens on days that I have planned for such events.

Couple of nice slabs, as a turner I always look for the nastiest stuff....coloring, spalting, tones of timber. Always looking, but you already seem to find it!

Scott (keep those photo's coming) B

The city log dump is on the beach, when they cut down a tree in a park or on the street, it often winds up down at the log dump eventually.

The meds were helpful for sure, I also had to take a quick business trip right after this session, the meds were helpful for the plane ride as well! Hate flying with sinus problems. Back to 99% now and planning to hit the beach again next week. The turning buddy was down there yesterday and picked up some more cherry, says there is not much new right now, so we will have to dig through some of the logs we marked previously.

Beautiful...you have such an ideal milling opportunity! Keep enjoying it every chance you get.

394xp w/ 33" & 42" Bars - Full Comp Full Chisel - 36" Granberg Alaskan Mill
455 Rancher w/ 20" Bar - Semi Chisel
Husqvarna Forestry Helmet & Full Wrap Chaps

Always enjoy your posting, and I am always envious of your access to some pretty logs.

What do you end up doing with most of your slabs?

Back