Ugly Honeylocust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Boyt

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've got several friends who keep an eye out for unusual logs. This honeylocust was destined for a firewood pile. Ugly on the outside, but on the inside, it was spectacular. The Norwood HD 36 normally cuts 26" wide (a respectable slab), but by removing the ceramic blade guide, I squeezed the blade through 32" wide slabs. Customer was pleased.

I may have to re-think passing on the Locust tree I left standing today......not as big as this one, but from the limb I needed to knock out of the 'right-of-way' it sure had some possibilities.

Has the customer discussed what he/she will be using these for?

Scott (thickness counts) B

how was blade wear cutting the locust? reason i ask is we cut one about a month or two back and it just ate the hell out of the bandsaw blade, we got about 7 boards before the new blade started to slow down, a couple more with effort and the last one i didn't think we could finish the cut without changing out the blade. the wood was about as plain as a piece of cardboard as well. i know that walnut has a relatively high silica content, but i am thinking the honey locust is about 2 or 3 times higher in silica or some other hard gritty stuff. all i know is after seeing the resulting wood i wouldn't cut another even for firewood! at least now i see there are examples of some very nicely figured/grained honey locust so maybe i will take another look at the next one that comes along.

you are right ugly out side....beautiful and interesting in

thanks for the pics!

I had no problem with the blade, but the tree had been dead long enough that all the bark was off of it. I'm guessing you got into some grit embedded in the bark. Maybe we're not talking about the same species. Honeylocust is the one with the long thorns on the trunk. You may have been milling black locust. I don't have any experience with that. Both make excellent firewood, by the way.

No, you don't look at trees the same after you open them up. But just when you think you can predict what's inside you'll get a surprise. Sometimes pleasant, and sometimes its rot or nails. As Forest Gump said, it's "like a box of choc'lets... you never know what's inside until you open it".

Back