Uneven cutters numbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So while sharpening my new Oregon chain, I noticed that there seemed to be a cutter missing where it was joined together. Reading through the forum, this seems to be fairly normal and most people say not to sweat it.
Two questions:
1) I didn't notice any dishing while limbing, but will it cut straight through bigger wood if it's got 17 cutters on the right and only 16 on the left?
2) Why not have a cutter where it is joined? (The chain has 68 drivelinks.)

Thoughts???

View attachment 574274 View attachment 574275 View attachment 574276
There could be a few reasons they removed the cutter, quit possible it was bent/damage. It obviously didn't get by quality control or it was returned at one point as you paid about half price. I think that's good.
I would be most concerned if the master was over spun. I check the master for movment at the counter at most places. A little stiff, it will loosen up quickly. Too tight, It will thump hard going through the sprocket and destroy your hands and rattle the saw apart. This chain reeks of amateur workmanship but just as effective providing the master moves freely

The rivets are looking over spun but if the chain isn't tight that wouldn't matter. All the guy had to do was put the cutter he punched out back on instead of the tie strap. If he bent that cutter he should just not be working on chain. No excuse at all for a dealer, every single one I know of has a pile of chain scraps sitting beside their press so even if they bent the cutter it should have been replaced. If I find a chain like that I'll use it no problem but if a dealer hands me a chain like that he's gonna hear it. At that point, why would I pay more for a chain only to have it not up to my standards? Honestly, I'll take that over spinning before under spinning anyday. I've had dealer chains where the spin link is so loose it's just about ready to fall off!!!!

Latest posts

Back