Unknown Husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSTS

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I picked up what I believe to be a Husqvarna 181 SE but the only numbers I can find on the saw are on the flywheel and it reads:

Sweden
501 - 80 22/02
120SG - W435.

Is there any way of finding out if it is a 181 by these numbers?
Would it be better if I post some pics of it?

Thanks, Kevin.

From info I've found piecing things together it could be a 281? With pics I'm sure we could find the saw in a post or two. That would make this easier I think.

Ok guys, here are some pics of it. I took it apart and the piston looks squeaky clean, the carb may be adjusting. When I opened it right up and held it there was a little hesitation. Anyway, here are some pics.

Could be, I got it off of ebay and the guy thought it was a 181. I can't wait to get a chain break for it and get to cutting.

Thanks for your help guys. I am going to clean it up real good and get a few parts for it; new muffler, chain break and handle, dual spikes. I think my 455 will become my limbing saw now lol.

As was said, some parts may have been changed out, that's one of the beauties of this saw series. If you'll remove the top cover and look at the inboard throttle lever, a small wire toggle between carb and lever would be consistent w/ a 181 carb configuration. A plastic lever only, pushing down on the carb throttle rod cam is 281/288. The 181s had the interconnecting wires between ignition coil and module molded in (pain). Later styles had friction terminals. The only way to know the top end for sure is to pull the cylinder. 52mm is 181/281. 54mm is 288. The 181 has a much smaller combustion chamber, which really helps it's performance. However, it also has a drawback. The exhaust port is smaller than the 281, and the intake, exhaust and transfers are smaller than late style 281/288s (w/compression release). Long story short, a 181 is a real performer with a little port work. Don't scrap your muffler, just straighten it out a bit and do a shotgun mod as seen elsewhere on the site. Make sure your bearings are good and let'er rip. And double check the throttle linkage, whatever type, is moving the carb to WOT. This is a common issue on both linkage styles.

Last edited:
I really do appreciate everyone's help with this. I am learning alot on this site. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back