Unusual Pictures Of The Stihl 090 070 and Contra

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They finally found a scrench!
Deforestation-in-DRC-007.jpg

Sorry that a lot of the pics are gone, let's start again.View attachment 387052
thats coconut palm felled for lumber, seems like in Indonesia.
Trust me guys using 070/090 all day long is not a good thing, i've seen veteran loggers with arthritis/parkinson/spur bones and all kind of joint/bone ailments.
These guys look healthy and fit, once they grow old i guess they will fall apart just like their saws :(

It's all fun and games once the logs are on the landing.
3-amazon-indians-strip-tie-beat-illegal-loggers.jpg

could be Brazil near Amazon, illegal loggers being chased and whipped by villagers.
Sick of illegal loggings, i remember reading this article somewhere though.
*Note his hands are tied behind him and stripped to his underpants

Thats Sarawak a state in my country, the most corrupted state in this region.
The minister is a hardcore deforestation king, he pretty much is responsible for the 99% of illegal logging and legal logging going on there.
The picture shows native indigenous people are getting pushed around by logging activities, loss of food source and shelter.
Alot things going in 3rd world countries, mostly corruption and daylight robbery.

A couple times in that video it appeared that the saws were being packed with a strap over the shoulder or something on the belt. Can you comment on that?
I wouldn't be surprised, those old high cc saws are ridiculously heavy !
I remember my dealer said stihl 070 w/32" weighs 13 kg approx. 28.6 pounds i guess, virgin forest loggers usually pack this setup.
Occasionally some go with 42" or 36", and i've heard stories from a old timer there was once they had to weld 3 bars together to get the job done.
I wonder what kind of tree and how big it was...anyway a log truck in Malaysia on the way to saw mill :chainsaw:

A couple times in that video it appeared that the saws were being packed with a strap over the shoulder or something on the belt. Can you comment on that?

I didn't see that. I don't remember anybody in the woods carrying their saw like you describe. If you slipped on that steep ground and rolled down the hill you'd want to be able to throw that saw away from you, not have it beating the crap out of you while you went ass-over-teakettle.

Awesome thread Gypo. I cut firewood and enjoy these pictures and videos but it is a shame to see all the deforestation. I'm no tree hugger though, societies use a lot of wood. Cool pics and videos everyone.

I didn't see that. I don't remember anybody in the woods carrying their saw like you describe. If you slipped on that steep ground and rolled down the hill you'd want to be able to throw that saw away from you, not have it beating the crap out of you while you went ass-over-teakettle.
1:22 and 2:04 in the video. Never seen anything like it and I was curious. I packed my saw in the typical bar over the shoulder method. If I fell, I tossed my saw as you said.

Robin, is there still a lot of wood there? Those black guys , can they put a dent in it anymore than us mainly white guys here in North America?
It would be cool to meet some of those black dudes and exchange notes.
It's all about forest mangement, if you want carrots, you have to weed your garden.

Virgin forest probably 20~30% , they have moved on to Papua New Guinea.
Apparently the new logging haven, but personally i don't think the forest in South East Asia+Africa+Amazon is enough to support earth.
The rate tree's are being logged is really worrying, and forestry management is non-existent i would say in 3rd world country.

If you are talking about felling techniques, saw control and etc i reckon you guys are definitely ahead.
These people have evolved to handle heavy saws, rough terrain and free-hand milling, i'll give them that.

Exactly totally agree with you on that, they don't replant like you guys do.
Clear-cut forest becomes plantation/agricultural land, hardly any second growth forest.
Besides rain forest tree doesn't really recover like Cedar, Redwood, Spruce or any other species you guys have on the other end.
Wait till other invasive useless species enters the forest and you have forest of crappy good for nothing trees few years down the road :(5_Delano_Rainforest_14.jpg

1:22 and 2:04 in the video. Never seen anything like it and I was curious. I packed my saw in the typical bar over the shoulder method. If I fell, I tossed my saw as you said.

Maybe my eyes are going bad but it looked like his shoulder pad had slipped back on his suspenders. The home made ones do that sometimes. It also looked like he was carrying the saw with his hand right where the dawgs would be. On some of the older and heavier saws that was a good balance point if you weren't going very far. Otherwise, the saw gets carried on the shoulder like you said.

Back