Update on BSMilling - with useful info for CSMillers as well

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I haven't posted much of the output of the BSM because I'm not the one that is driving it all that often these days. My main duties are to sharpen and set blades and generally supervise those driving it.
Recently we cut up a couple of dozen 6 x 6 posts for bollards/fence posts.
To do this we firstly squared a log to about 25 x 25 ", then made 3, 6" thick cuts leaving the 6" thick slabs in place on top of each other on the mill.
Then ratchet strapped the whole pack together with 3 ton ratchet straps and rolled the pack 90º on the mill using a loader. The ratchet straps easily held the pack together nice and square.
Then cut the next lot of 6" deep cuts .
Instant 6x6 posts.
Sorry no pics - will take some next time they are on the job.

Sounds like it went without a hitch. I don't know what bollards are though.

3 ton ratchet straps sound pretty beefy, how long were the slabs / cants and how many of the straps were used to bundle the pack?

Old Blue

Sounds like it went without a hitch. I don't know what bollards are though.
Bollards are usually short poles or fence posts usually 6 x 6" set upright in the ground used to control vehicle flow - just set wide enough apart to prevent vehicles going in between them.
Often seen in parks or along walk ways etc. Also the term scan be used in a nautical sense.

3 ton ratchet straps sound pretty beefy, how long were the slabs / cants and how many of the straps were used to bundle the pack?
The labs were about 8ft long and two straps easily held the pack together
I just realised they were not really 3 ton - more like closer to 2 ton (5000 lb)

Back