Upstate NY GTG 2015

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Brewster, but have 50 acres near Hancock, and for years I hunted out of Margaretville (my Uncle was there). I always like going to "Rifle County", and there used to be a lot less of it in NY.

My uncle has an old farmland (not in use) of about 18 acres up near Hancock, half way to Roscoe but further south towards the PA border. We call it "the country house" because it is so remote. When we would go up there, seems like there is literally nothing to do but just sit around the house because there is no nearby town with anything to do. Not sure what people do around there for jobs. My uncle has talked about leaving it to me and my brothers, but none of us really want to pay for upkeep or taxes on the place when we don't have much use for it. OTOH, my dad thinks we'd be fools to get rid of it too quickly. About the ONLY thing that I can think of is making it a hunting cabin, but neither of us are hunters. What do you do with your 50 acres near Hancock?

Enjoy the outdoors, thats about it not much else out there. Big river nearby to canoe down and fish from. Nice reservoir to go boating on. Lots of State Land. Otherwise its just pot holes and cow farts.

Derf, if you are selling it, let me know.

Ours is mainly used for hunting, but also hiking, enjoying the views, almost camping out, and we have gone fishing from there. Some of my neighbors (who don't hunt) run quads.

It is also nice to have a place to target shoot w/o any restrictions.

We built a "lifeguard stand" 12' high on a 6' high rock to take in the views, here are some pics w/MechanicMatt and his daughter a few years back.

This is from June 2010 from the back of my property, looking at the Cannonsville Reservoir and the Rte 10 bridge (w&w/o telephoto).

Attachments

• 100_0243.jpg
    100_0243.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0245.jpg
    100_0245.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_0246.jpg
    100_0246.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 24
Derf, if you are selling it, let me know.

Ours is mainly used for hunting, but also hiking, enjoying the views, almost camping out, and we have gone fishing from there. Some of my neighbors (who don't hunt) run quads.

It is also nice to have a place to target shoot w/o any restrictions.

We built a "lifeguard stand" 12' high on a 6' high rock to take in the views, here are some pics w/MechanicMatt and his daughter a few years back.

This is from June 2010 from the back of my property, looking at the Cannonsville Reservoir and the Rte 10 bridge (w&w/o telephoto).
Man do I love the Catskills.

My cousins on the Farm near Utica used to talk about having to exit the house from the upstairs windows because the snow had drifted against the front of the house. Cold, snowy, and WINDY!

I'd come back in from hunting in the AM, my face all wind burned, and my Aunt would have her home made beef barley soup (made from the garden veggies) all warmed up and waiting ... there was nothing better!

Real Adirondacks!
Lol

We like the Five Ponds Wilderness area along with the Cranberry Lake Wild Forest. Launch in Wannakeena and paddle around the backside to Dead Creek Flow good fishing and hunting out there, plus in November there's not many people around. You must live around Keene Valley.

ch150301.jpg
I always think of this comic when I see some guy posing over a dead animal he just shot...

We like the Five Ponds Wilderness area along with the Cranberry Lake Wild Forest. Launch in Wannakeena and paddle around the backside to Dead Creek Flow good fishing and hunting out there, plus in November there's not many people around. You must live around Keene Valley.
Clinton/Franklin County.

Have camps in the Paul Smiths area

Clinton/Franklin County.

Have camps in the Paul Smiths area
I'm in Jefferson county, grew up in Lewis county. I used to spend a little time at Upper St. Regis Lake, great pike fishing there. We might have to meet in the middle sometime for hunting season. Lots of room in the Daks.

Back