USA Champion Trees Need Rec Climbers!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yessir, I'ld like to have a copy. PM sent.

Hmmm. Do they let anyone climb a tree on the "Big Tree List"? Probably not, but if there was a chance, I'ld get in line, if I could do it without damaging the tree. Climb barefoot? No problem. Climb naked? Well, might have to think about it. I'ld be tempted, but I might give everybody else night mares. Or hysterics.

Maybe they could use a little free pruning?

I saw a monster Water Oak in Covington last week. Wonder if it would qualify?

Not to be a wet blanket but tree climbing represents a small part of measuring for champion trees. The last thing forest managers want is rec climbers flocking to champion trees (don't bring your pruning saw). The good news is that there are plenty of excellent trees to climb without going up the tallest in your state or the country.

Check out the ENTS web site to see how trees are measured. The most accurate work is being done with laser devices and complex math:
Eastern Native Tree Society

moss said:
Not to be a wet blanket but tree climbing represents a small part of measuring for champion trees. The last thing forest managers want is rec climbers flocking to champion trees
I think forest managers have a lot more to worry about, but it is polite to ask permission first, even though public trees are...public.:heart:

Yes climbing is a small part but a very useful part of measuring. I've gone up a few with the ENTS, and used a tape measure to verify the rangefinder readings.

Clinometers can be way off, so if you don't have a rangefinder, climbing is the best way to get the real number. Rangefinders are under $200, and the math is not all that tough if you practice it a bit.

Good stuff TreeSeer, I defer to any climber who's worked with the ENTS :cheers:

There have been some problems involving rec climbers, pruning saws and champion trees. Most definitely the search for new champions or just fine specimens is a natural fit for rec climbers.
-moss

Fireaxman said:
Hmmm. Do they let anyone climb a tree on the "Big Tree List"?

Just kidding, and looking back on it it was a bad joke. Too much cab that night I guess. Wouldn't take ANY chance of damaging a registered tree, and wouldn't want to say anything that would encourage any one else to climb one unnecessarily. I'll be content to stand on the ground and admire, and leave any needed work to folks like Treeseer.

Back