used dr rapidfire for sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupte

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
so I have a friend who's thinking of selling a dr rapid fire. he offered it to me first and he said he wants 2k for it obo. it has all the options, table etc. He said its bigger than the k34, is it worth it?

Not a DR, that's about what u could buy a new k34 for with a warranty. Probably worth half that.

Not a DR, that's about what u could buy a new k34 for with a warranty. Probably worth half that.
new price for k34 is 2500, so what would be a good price 1500-1700? or is the DR just not very good compared to a super split?

If it didn't look abused maybe worth half the price of a new one. The life of a kenetic splitter is much shorter than a hydraulic splitter therefore they should depreciated faster. Super split is much better imo. Why is he selling?

If it didn't look abused maybe worth half the price of a new one. The life of a kenetic splitter is much shorter than a hydraulic splitter therefore they should depreciated faster. Super split is much better imo. Why is he selling?

Not sure why the life is a lot shorter on a kinetic? I have heard guys running SS on here for 20 years. I agree, would go Super Split over DR.

my local dealer:

00x0x_3oX1YbncLM_600x450.jpg

WE NEED TO MAKE ROOM FOR MORE EQUIPMENT, AND THESE MUST GO!!!

1st picture is the K28 Rapid Fire Pro Log Splitter. Model Number: WDSRXA.
5.8 HP DR Brand Engine
Out splits and 28 ton hydraulic splitter
Trailerable
Up to 30" logs 24" long
List Price $2399.00
CLEARENCE PRICE $1499.00 !!!!!

Wow, I should have read the add, I always see on Craigslist, just never clicked on it till now for a price. I might have to sell a couple saws and try one out. This dealer has great service.

Well, I don't see a bigger model than the K34 on DR's website.

I guess I would not pay over $1500. They have had issues with rack and pinion and bearings. There are a few threads on them here.

They look so flimsy. Does a kinetic splitter actually have the umph to get through the big stringy knotty stuff?

Not sure why the life is a lot shorter on a kinetic?

They have had issues with rack and pinion and bearings. There are a few threads on them here.

I think u answered your own question. Too many moving parts. You mentioned 20 years but that might only be 100 cords for the average homeowner, but that's only 1 or 2 years for a guy selling wood. 100 cords works out to be about 25 dollars per cord in depreciation, I could probably rent a good high quality splitter cheaper than 25/ cord.

My K34 is going ok now. Lubrication is the key. I expect to get atleast 10 years outta this thing! It has it's limitations, and big knarly stuff just isn't worth the hassle of working it across this little machine.
What are these things worth? In real world value I am going to say that it is worth about half what they are asking for them NEW. 1200 to 1300 clams.
The Super Split might be a better machine, I have never been near one.

The only excuse I can offer for buying mine last December is temporary insanity. Or a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
1 splitter was broke down, and the other was was running but not real well. I needed to get another truck loaded ASAP.
brought the DR 34, and blew the pinion in 20 cords. Fixed under warranty, and lubed with grease now as per instructed.
The thing that I don't understand is why there is no mention ANYWHERE in the DR34 manual on lubricating the rack/pinion.... :wtf:

For the right money, take it. I have one of the originals.........and yes it's not perfect. I am replacing the bearings as I noticed after a kickback something metallic around the rack as it extended. Bearings are cheap, and the ones they used are very cheap. They do have their limitations, don't work great for really big pieces, bad knots, etc. Would I buy mine again knowing what I know now....yes.

Shea

As mentioned above, maintain it. Keep it lubed and greased. I have always greased the rack and pinion as I just couldn't see running it dry.

I paid 1200 for my nearly new DR w/ table.
Lucky it was still under warranty, the warranty was transferable and I was able to, and did, buy the extended warranty.
It's been to the shop twice for rack, pinion and lever repairs.

I like it (mostly). It's fast and will split most stuff I can lift or roll off the trailer on to it. Professional grade/heavy duty it is not.

he said he sold his property so he no longer has access to wood he said there is 18 hours on it.

hmm. after reading some posts about it I'm having second thoughts. now I'm thinking I'd be better off spending the money on a super split. the guys who have them rave about them.

hmm. after reading some posts about it I'm having second thoughts. now I'm thinking I'd be better off spending the money on a super split. the guys who have them rave about them.
There ya go...

Either way its light years ahead of a hydro unit. Less moving parts, burn less fuel and 4x as productive.

Either way its light years ahead of a hydro unit. Less moving parts, burn less fuel and 4x as productive.
I agree completely!!! the only problem I can see with a kinetic splitter is the lack of a log lift. there has been talk that there is one in the works but who knows when.

depends on the type of wood and the size of wood....large rounds are more suited to a hydraulic splitting vertical, lifting and easier maneuverability.

Agri-Fab makes a lift they say is compatible with a Super Split. No idea if it would fit the DR.
That is correct...Split Seconds' (Agri-Fab) log lift will fit all SS models. Paul at SS is looking at making one to offer at SS, but haven't heard anythying as to when it'll be available.

I think u answered your own question. Too many moving parts. You mentioned 20 years but that might only be 100 cords for the average homeowner, but that's only 1 or 2 years for a guy selling wood. 100 cords works out to be about 25 dollars per cord in depreciation, I could probably rent a good high quality splitter cheaper than 25/ cord.

The rack and pinion issues are with DR, not the Super Split.

Latest posts

Back