Used Stihl 066 magnum: whats a good price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankelly125

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, Ive been lurking for a few days now. Great site! A lot of knowledgeable people here.

I have found a lead on a "Stihl 066 magnum w/25 inch bar & new chain" which looks to be in great condition. Seller says that the saw has been "gone over, and it is in excellent condition." From the pics, it does indeed look to be in excellent condition, cosmetically, anyway.

What would you all recommend as a good price on this saw? He has a price listed, but I want to know what I "should" be paying for it.

Thanks in advance!

-Dan

The saw Im looking at is in SW Medina. Is that the same one? That is good to know that the seller is a good guy to deal with. Thanks Epicklein22!

Its great to be able to come to a site like this and check in to credibility of a seller.

Got my 066 magnum from Don. Functionally its in great shape. Starts right up! Cant complain there. Now Im working on the cosmetics of it. Some nicks and scrapes and scuffs that I need to work out. (but its a used saw...I didnt expect it to be 100% new) I will post a picture when Im done!

Thanks again Don!

paid $650 for my 660 just about a year ago. Saw was in Great mechanical shape, and Pretty good cosmetic shape. Had a 30" Stihl Rolo bar, and now sports square ground chisel.

Couldn't be happier.

Good Luck

Murf

does it look like this or does it have the newer plastic with a hump in it.

_MG_2440.jpg

this is mine i like it alot , this one will be with me for awhile.

Newer plastic with the hump. Honestly, this is more saw than I will ever realistically need. (Not that you all couldnt figure that out by a noob buying an 066!)

I figured for a little more $$ than a new MS290 would cost, I could get a saw that would probably last until I give it to my kids.

That was the method to my madness. :chainsaw:

a 28" reduced weight oregon bar will be a nice match for it.

460 probly would have been the better saw to get faster cutting in small wood cost less and weighs less and youd be handing it down to your grandkids

Newer plastic with the hump. Honestly, this is more saw than I will ever realistically need. (Not that you all couldnt figure that out by a noob buying an 066!)

I figured for a little more $$ than a new MS290 would cost, I could get a saw that would probably last until I give it to my kids.

That was the method to my madness. :chainsaw:

Dan,

Don's 066 to Dan. Good deal. :clap:

BTW, you need no method here. Greed, desire, and wants are accepted and held in high regard.

Cut safely and in good health,

joat

Dang, you guys pay some good money for the 066's. I sold 4 this past year to people I work with or friends. I sold 2 of them for $350 (a nice flat top and a newer style 066, both have dual ports too:)). Sold 1 for $275 (nasty looking and the mount for the inner dawg was broken off) and traded one for 3 066/064 parts saws and some more stuff. While I could have gotten more, I made money on every saw and all of the guys are very appreciative.

2 for 350 ea in Feb. One red light special, one newer round top. Both runners in good condition, bar and chain (24 and 36 in)

I paid 600 for my 660 with new 28 and 36 inch bars and chains it was a homeowners saw who had it only for bragging rights...it was almost like new condition when i bought it also came with an 8 pin sproket on the side and dp muff cover....thats why i drove 6 hours round trip to get it.

Dang, you guys pay some good money for the 066's. I sold 4 this past year to people I work with or friends. I sold 2 of them for $350 (a nice flat top and a newer style 066, both have dual ports too:)). Sold 1 for $275 (nasty looking and the mount for the inner dawg was broken off) and traded one for 3 066/064 parts saws and some more stuff. While I could have gotten more, I made money on every saw and all of the guys are very appreciative.

If only I had gotten the itch back then! haha. Oh well, Im happy with my saw. I think Ive decided to just use it the way it is now and make it look pretty in the winter months. It runs great, might as well just put it to work!

460 probly would have been the better saw to get faster cutting in small wood cost less and weighs less and youd be handing it down to your grandkids

460's dont have 92cc's & 7hp. :chainsawguy:
460 was on my list though of saws to consider....but I jumped at the chance to own the 066. No turning back now!

Just paid 150 for a flattop 066 redlight. Had it at the GTG. Nobody wanted it. Or the light. Go figure.:cheers:

Back