used the search, but still need some stihl 07 info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varsity Tyler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was given an old Stihl 07 by a buddy of mine and was told that it wouldn't run. I managed to get it started. It was great at full throttle but would but out at idle. Compression tests pointed to piston rings, so I pulled the jug off today at work and sure enough the upper ring was split into three pieces.

Aside from knowing how to run and maintain a chainsaw I don't know much about them. Model numbers and all that stuff means nothing to me.

The model is an 07, but I've been told that there is a series number to differentiate the model even further. On my saw that number is partly rubbed out. It's either a 5, 6 or the letter S.

If I post a serial number can anybody tell me exactly what model I have? And how old is this thing? 30 years? Older?

And once that's determined, where on earth can I get parts for this things. I need rings, an exhaust gasket and the gasket between the block and the jug. I went into the Stihl dealer down the street with this thing and they laughed at me. lol So here I am looking for a point in the right direction.

Thanks!

Tyler

i'll snap a picture tomorrow and post something up then.

in the mean time, what is the difference between the 5/6 (whichever exists) and the S?

and you can bet i'll treat it well. i really want to get this thing up and running properly, and more importantly i want to use it. this isn't going to be some garage queen. what i've found with most small equipment is that the old stuff is built right and built to last. i have four or five old Johnson and Evinrude outboards from the 50s through to the early 70s. the whole collection is used every year from the spring through to the fall, and they all run like clockwork. i really hope this saw fits that same bill.

There is no 5/6.. it's an S or nothing...

The 07 LIGHTENING 75cc 6hp (very desirable) was made from 1961 to 1965, and the 07S - 75cc 4.5hp(still desirable) was made from 65 to 68. Both powerheads weighed 22lb...

I'd restore it, and use it sparingly, or sell it for good money and buy a much more practical general purpose saw.

Last edited:
There is no 5/6.. it's an S or nothing...

that's exactly what i wanted to know.

and sell it? i was planning on restoring it to proper, working condition but nothing showroom.

and just because now i'm curious, roughly what is the saw worth?

Last edited:
$10... so I'd give you $15.. lololol

If it's a Lightening... running and decent shape..collector might pay $600 or more... of course, a fickle market.. so $200 to $1000 is likely...

Last edited:
I have 2 07S saws, both advertised on ebay as "broken" and sold cheap (20 USD approx).

The one in better condition simply needed tuning. It has some form of ignition fault in that after about half an hour of use, it cuts out (no spark)...then works perfectly again an hour or so later. One of the clutch springs was broken - I robbed a spare from the other one. I've got a flywheel puller on order - I believe that it has the same ignition parts as the 070 090, and I'll probably drop in a VEC electronic ignition when I have confirmed the parts are the same. In use, it is a heavy, powerful saw. Loads of torque, but would easily be outcut by a more modern saw. It vibrates like hell as well!

The other saw is in poor condition. It needs a new exhaust (different to the 070/090, but looks the same), some one has bodged the starter with a welding torch. Piston and jug are in good order, which gives me hope that it can be saved. Someone also painted it green (badly), which will have to be fixed.

Getting parts? Curt Bailey on eBay has some occasionally, and I see the odd parts saw crop up. Bantasaw has sprockets (this took me a year to find....). As for gaskets - the sooner you invest in a few rolls of gasket paper and some punches, the better. I make all my own, and they work fine. These punches:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22429&name=boehm&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0

are a lifesaver for me.

Good luck! PM me if you need an IPL. I don't have a service manual....so if anyone has one of them...please PM me!

Last edited:
Back