Using an in tree saw on the ground?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madosta

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here goes. I'm pretty much a farm boy not a professional so I occasionally cut firewood and drop some trees here and there. I have a few saws in the collection MS170 (cheap light and awesome) MS250 with .325 and I'm thinking I might go narrow kerf on it soon. And my big dog MS441 with a 28" bar.

I have wanted to get my dad a light top handle for cutting up brush on the ground since he is always using a circular saw with one hand and holds the smaller brush with the other hand. Don't scream about safety he won't listen to me in real life so he surely won't hear it through this forum. Lol.

I don't know if it would be more or less safe than what he's doing now... Thinking of getting him a MS192. Bad idea? Or should they only be used in the tree because they are prone to flipping farther back than a rear handle. Looking for honest opinions.

Lmao. Maybe in the spring when it warms up some. I bought him one of those one handed hackzalls from Milwaukee but its too slow. Thick skulls.

I was going to suggest a cordless reciprocating saw. There are very aggressive blades available specifically for cutting brush. At least 18 volt, those 12v models, while great in very tight spaces, don't seem to have anywhere near the speed or stroke length to be very effective in most circumstances.

Not sure if by hackzall you meant a powered reciprocating saw or a hand saw.

IMHO, I was never very comfortable using my top handles clearing bike trails. When I quit climbing I sold them. Safety is a matter of the operator more than anything, so in your dads case I would get him a rear handle smaller saw and maybe he will change his style to fit the saw. If not maybe it will force him to do it. Limbing is one of the most dangerous things you can do next to falling, especially if you are not doing it right. It is not if he is going to get cut, it is more like when doing it the way he is now. CJ

The vid would probably go viral. Has Dad considered using a carbide cutting wheel on a disc grinder for bucking and limbing?
Lmao. Maybe in the spring when it warms up some. I bought him one of those one handed hackzalls from Milwaukee but its too slow. Thick skulls.

IMG_0526.JPG
Here goes. I'm pretty much a farm boy not a professional so I occasionally cut firewood and drop some trees here and there. I have a few saws in the collection MS170 (cheap light and awesome) MS250 with .325 and I'm thinking I might go narrow kerf on it soon. And my big dog MS441 with a 28" bar.

I have wanted to get my dad a light top handle for cutting up brush on the ground since he is always using a circular saw with one hand and holds the smaller brush with the other hand. Don't scream about safety he won't listen to me in real life so he surely won't hear it through this forum. Lol.

I don't know if it would be more or less safe than what he's doing now... Thinking of getting him a MS192. Bad idea? Or should they only be used in the tree because they are prone to flipping farther back than a rear handle. Looking for honest opinions.
My opinion , I have a ton of top handles MS201T's and I prefer a 261 it is light and gets a bit more reach so I don't have to bend with a bad back as much.

Here goes.

MS250 with .325 and I'm thinking I might go narrow kerf on it soon. And my big dog MS441 with a 28" bar.

I don't know if it would be more or less safe than what he's doing now..

For the MS 250 do you mean 0.325 NK or 0.043 drive link picco? I would suggest going to a 7 tooth rim drive kit (from Stihl) for the 0.050 picco.

If we are talking about holding the brush in one hand and cutting with the other the circular saw in my opinion is safer. If you are talking about stuff still attached to the roots and the hand is say 2 feet away from the ground and you cut close to the ground well I do that without incident. The 0.043 picco stuff on the 7 tooth nose bar well try and get it to kick back and you will see it really doesn't but that is not of course the only danger.

Or, one of these? Depending on how he uses it, these also grab/bundle twigs and loose brush for cutting. Probably a lot faster than a circular saw, as well as keeping both hands out of the path, and also reducing bending over.

Philbert

Screen shot 2015-03-02 at 11.58.25 AM.png
Black & Decker 'Alligator Lopper'

I really don't understand the idea that a tophandle is unsafe on the ground, other than mfg's liability. Sure there are uneducated and inexperienced people who should not be using any chainsaw. I use mine on the ground as much if not more than in the tree. Great to have by the chipper, felling small trees and saplings, etc. Especially love it for cutting up tops for firewood. Cutting with one hand, holding and tossing into the truck with the other is great and saves alot of bending over and picking up stuff twice. After I started climbing and started using one, I dont know how I ever went without.
Also I think using a circular saw for cutting brush is pretty damn dangerous. Those suckers will grab hard and buck back worse than a small saw.

Top handle saws are really dangerous when holding branches with one hand and cutting with the other
Not as bad as the old homelite XL 2 and the Stihl 020AV both of them were more nose heavy which would cause it to gravitate towards your body. but one handing is the way to get cut I agree.

I really don't understand the idea that a tophandle is unsafe on the ground, other than mfg's liability. Sure there are uneducated and inexperienced people who should not be using any chainsaw. I use mine on the ground as much if not more than in the tree. Great to have by the chipper, felling small trees and saplings, etc. Especially love it for cutting up tops for firewood. Cutting with one hand, holding and tossing into the truck with the other is great and saves alot of bending over and picking up stuff twice. After I started climbing and started using one, I dont know how I ever went without.
Also I think using a circular saw for cutting brush is pretty damn dangerous. Those suckers will grab hard and buck back worse than a small saw.
Because the design begs you to one hand it like a real fast street bike that you wind out know what I mean? One handing is not the best way.

I'm just going to assume your dad isn't going to change how he does things, so I won't get on the safety Sam train, irrespective of my personal feelings.

Honestly, I can't imagine a safer saw for one handed use than my 150.
That tiny bar nose and 1/4 chain really are an asset.
The price seems high, and your dad will probably need his glasses on to sharpen that tiny chain, but it's a great saw and goes forever on a tank. It oils well, until the tiny oil hole in the bar blocks with sawdust. But it sprays oil so well it's easy to see when it stops.
There are threads on here about modifying it for a bit more go, but even with a muffler mod it's quiet and I bet your dad doesn't wear hearing protection either.

A 150t makes more sense, a 200t is a vicious saw, 150t is a bit more friendly

There were a lot of people killing or seriously injuring themselves in the uk before the 200t was banned for use on the ground, lots of left arm injuries for starters, a few deaths

The 150t and 200t are my most used saws, it is easy to use them safely just as it is exceptionally easy to do something really dumb

Latest posts

Back