Utilization of extremely large, downed pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nipack might be too fast. You need something that pushes apart, a slow burn, otherwise you shatter the material instead of splitting it.

"You need something that pushes apart, a slow burn,"

OK, I'll try some black powder, but I really thought black powder burns extremely fast. I just fear that the tough wood will not yield without destroying a good bit of it. That nipack gave it quite a jolt, but the log took it on the chin and remains intact. For a 40 inch lob with very tight grain is the recommendation still about one cup (1/2 lb.) and a bored cut right to the center? Someone mentioned putting the powder in a Sammy bag. BTW, what is a Sammy bag? Will any kind of container work even like a ziploc bag for instance?

Sorry, I haven't read many of the replies.

If you didn't know, chainsaw milling isn't for the faint of heart. It's a lot of work, even with a proper chain and power head it will take you many hours to slab out that log. If all you want is slabs milled then keep asking around your local area. Somewhere nearby someone has a band mill large enough to cut that full width (if that's what you want). If you have the means to get the log to a mill then you will save some money but otherwise I don't see a log trucking guy getting out of bed for less than $350 to move that withing 25 miles. I certainly wouldn't take on milling that size of a log with anything less than 90cc.

Latest posts

Back