Venison thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How do you guys make your deer meat? I always do a lot of rope sausage and deer burger, I like to cook with it as I would beef but the woman isn't quite ready for that. Would love a deer rib recipe to have, I just throw them out as the fat is pretty bitter up here, suggestions?

Trim all of the fat off. That's holding a lot of the gamey taste. Cook steaks or roast in a crock pot or Dutch oven using the mushroom/onion soup recipe I posted in the other thread.

If grillin butterflied back straps, simply marinate them lightly in a little melted butter, add a splash of Worcestershire sauce, little salt/pepper...turns out fine. They'll cook quick, get ready to flip. About the time they start showing grill marks, turn'em...don't turn your back on'em, put the lid on, etc. unless you're real low on the heat. Another good marinade for them is simply Italian dressing. Same principle applies when they hit the grill.

I get bacon ends from a local smoke house.grind and mix 1lb of bacon to 3lb of venison. best slider burgers i ever had.

tastyis.png

I get trimmings from beef steak from a grocery store, the firm fat is the best, I trim and toss the slimy parts. ratio about 1/3 fat to venison.
course grind chunks of venison once, grind the fat once, combine and grind once once more, then form patties and grill.
I like to let all red meats I grill quickly to sit at room temp for 1/2 hr or more depending on thickness, before grilling.
I also prefer to freeze whole venison ham muscles, thaw and then grind for burger as opposed to freezing venison burger mixed w fat. The fat does not seem to freeze well and after a few months the flavor seems to turn and not taste nearly as good as freshly ground/fated deer burger.

One of my fav. venison recipes lately.
Slice pieces of any semi tender cut of deer meat about 3/8-1/2" across the grain.
lay pieces on a cutting board covered in plastic wrap, cover w more wrap and pound it thin w a meat mallet.
Flour well w Kentucky Kernel seasoned flour.
cover the bottom of the frying pan w peanut oil, about 1/8" and heat to frying temp.
lay the meat down and fry quickly, a minute or 2 on each side, drain and enjoy.
The pounding will make even tough meat very tender and the spicy, golden brown crust is fantastic. This is also very good w Pillsbury frozen biscuits/venison both smothered in white gravy. ( there is a gravy recipe on the box of KK flour)

Or cut it razor thin and fry in a little butter quickly.
Cooks REAL fast.
At the end stir in schredded cheese.
NOT Vallveeder!!!!!lol
Scoop into good rolls.
And it is way better than Philly Chese Stake.
Not misspelled. It ain't t cheese and it ain't steak from Philly.

My nieces and nephews were over and I couldn't make them fast enough.

They were shocked they were eating venison.........first time for all of them. And they kept eating.

One of my fav. venison recipes lately.
Slice pieces of any semi tender cut of deer meat about 3/8-1/2" across the grain.
lay pieces on a cutting board covered in plastic wrap, cover w more wrap and pound it thin w a meat mallet.
Flour well w Kentucky Kernel seasoned flour.
cover the bottom of the frying pan w peanut oil, about 1/8" and heat to frying temp.
lay the meat down and fry quickly, a minute or 2 on each side, drain and enjoy.
The pounding will make even tough meat very tender and the spicy, golden brown crust is fantastic. This is also very good w Pillsbury frozen biscuits/venison both smothered in white gravy. ( there is a gravy recipe on the box of KK flour)
That's the way we always have it. I always get the processor to cut the hams into cubes steak, already tenderized that way, tenderloin into butterfly steaks, shoulders into roasts and I make jerky out of the neck. Although, after reading it, we may be having skv's chese stake sammiches tonight.

Or cut it razor thin and fry in a little butter quickly.
Cooks REAL fast.
At the end stir in schredded cheese.
NOT Vallveeder!!!!!lol
Scoop into good rolls.
And it is way better than Philly Chese Stake.
Not misspelled. It ain't t cheese and it ain't steak from Philly.

My nieces and nephews were over and I couldn't make them fast enough.

They were shocked they were eating venison.........first time for all of them. And they kept eating.
Do you season the meat any? Any toppings on there?

We debone the hams then partially freeze them. We then run them though the deli slicer into paper thin strips. Fry em up with some garlic powder, salt, and pepper and serve on a roll. Add some cheese and it's among the best cheesesteak you will ever have.

Back