Venison thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sure would make it easier to slice.
Thanks.
It makes the world of difference. More frozen than thawed is perfect. If you don't have access to a deli slicer, a large sharp knife will do the same but will obviously go slower. We sliced up and wrapped about 70 pounds worth just a few weeks ago in about an hour and a half.

More frozen than thawed is perfect. If you don't have access to a deli slicer, a large sharp knife will do the same
Yep, that's how I always do it. Also when preparing to make jerky. Half frozen meat cuts much easier than limp meat. That's also why you wait 48 hrs after slaughter to cut meat. Let a little rigormortis set in. Makes the work a lot easier.

Marinaded/grilled deer shoulder pickin.
This works well and dern tasty. I take a shoulder(leg removed) and carefully fillet all the silverskin/fat off prying under some of the covered muscles w fingers to remove as much SS as possible. Then cut deeply in a 1 1/2" or so checkerboard pattern across all muscles.
Put the shoulder in a ziplock bag large enough to hold it.
pour a whole bottle of Paul Newmans Balsamic Vinegar salad dressing in and season well w cracked black pepper.
seal the bag and turn to coat the whole thing.
marinade for 48hrs. in the fridge turning it a few times each day. bring to room temp and get the grill hot.
grill the shoulder turning every 5/10 mins. browning not burning it
As the outer meat gets cooked slice pieces off just down to the pink meat right on the grill w a sharp knife/tongs or fork and put it in a bowl while mopping w fresh PNBV dressing, turn/mop/brown/slice repeat until you've removed/cooked the whole thing then you can gnaw on the bones once it cools a bit.
The meat gets tender from the marinading and is great picked right off the grill and piled into a hot sourdough roll to keep fingers from getting burned.
good w a baked tater and salad

Deer butt roll up.
I age all my venison for 5-8 days on ice or in the fridge. I cut deer hams off the pelvis @ the hip joint and don't use a saw and after aging I separate the individual ham muscles from the bone so I can wrap them tightly w plastic wrap and then tinfoil before putting in ziplock bags to prevent freezer burn.
A few large muscles of the butt are good for this recipe.
Get a long sharp knife, a serrated bread knife or long fillet knife will work, start a cut on the long side of the meat or with the grain.
cut about an inch or less and carefully/slowly continue cutting the same depth around the muscle to take a continuous flap of meat that gets longer as you slice and turn the meat like you are unraveling a roll until you run out of meat.
You should now have a thin, flat piece of meat that is over a foot long.
now you can season/smear w whatever you like and place stuffing like thin sliced mushrooms,herbs,cheese, fine crushed Black Walnuts/Pecans/Hickory nuts, olives,onions, garlic,soy/worchesteshire/wine etc. etc. on the top side in a thin layer across the whole thing.
When you're done roll the meat/stuffing back up tightly and tie w butcher string.
Now you can let it marinate overnight or just grill/smoke it right away.
Oiled and Seared/ turned for while and then roast to you liking or just roast/smoke for hours at a lower temp, basting is optional too, wine,salad dressing, marinade etc.
The best part is when sliced there is done meat on the outside and more rare towards the middle so everyone can get what they like and the stuffing/seasoning flavors all of the meat evenly.

Well I got some tenderloins off a deer I butchered for my dad. They were hung up for 48 hrs w the hide and the rest of the gutted deer. I carefully peeled and washed them and decided to marinate them last night. I poured about 1/3 cup of soy sauce, 2 splashes of Knob Creek 100 proof, about a tablespoon of California olive oil, cracked pepper, a few shakes of garlic and onion powder, Adams Rib Rub AND a few shakes of Mccormick Rosemary, soaked/stirred for 24 hours in the fridge. Grilled covered on the weber w kingsford hickory, med/hot and turned,basted w the marinade 4 times in 20 mins. The flavor of the whiskey and rosemary was dominant and the med rare meat was tender,juicy and deeeeeeeelicious.................................

1123162017.jpg
crappy pic but you can see the rosemary.

backstrap: medallions, cast iron pan fried in bacon grease... meat dredged in flour first... dash salt n pepper... and gently laid into hot pan. few mins on each side, prefer it just before last of the pink inside is gone... served hot and a dash more S & P...

Same here. I think all the steaks are good, I cut steaks out of anything that is big enough to call a steak, the burger meat I turn into sausage. I'd much rather have elk burger than deer burger.

I had a buffalo steak tonight that was so chewey, even the gravy was tough.

lol! I've never had buffalo that wasn't! The more you chew it the bigger it gets. I swear, I've had steaks off dozens of buffalo and have never had a good one.

Back