vermeer 352 engine problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone own a vermeer 352 stump grinder and re-powered it with a comparable engine? I've been looking for an engine for my 352 for months. Can't find anything that fits. I think Briggs and Stratton has a gas engine replacement kit, but I would prefer a diesel if I can. The diahatsu engine in these machines is crap and they don't make them anymore. Anyone ever replaced one. I have 2 machines and I replaced one of the engines already with another diahatsu, but it took months to find one. Don't mind doing a little fabricating, but don't have the skills to do too much.

Jim,

Have you contacted Vermeer to see if they have a conversion kit and what engines the kit is used for? It shouldn't be hard to build a plate for the bottom of the engine to mount on. Your biggest factors will be the length of the out put shaft and diameter. Also, the height of the engine plate to the center of the out put shaft as well. The new engine will have to match those dimensions.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

I checked with vermeer and they will put a gas powered engine in it for $10000. I don't mind doing the work myself but am dizzy looking for an engine that is close to compatible. It would be nice if there were a compatibility chart for engines. Maybe there is a repower expert out their who will let me in on the secret of where to start the search for something that will come close to fitting. I haven't been able to get in touch with the diahatsu go between for briggs and Stratton yet, but I think I talked to him the last time I blew an engine and he wasn't much help.

That's a ridiculous price as you can purchase a 35hp engine for $2,200. You may want to measure the out put shaft diameter and length of the Diahatsu and I might be able to help you with a Kubota 33hp turbo diesel. If you could get me the measurements, I can check into a Kubota for you. You can reach me at 770-420-6400.

Thanks,

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters

Hey Dave, I have to grind a lot of stumps to have vermeer put in an engine. The dementions of the engine I have in this machine is 434.4 L x 447.5 W x559.0 H (MM) (17.1 X 17.62 x 22.01 (inches)) the drive shaft is 25MM and sits 5" up from the frame. The center of the fan is 14" up from the frame. Not sure what other specs are needed, but the engine is a Briggs and Stratton/vanguard - Diahatsu diesel model 58A447 type 0134 - E2. Someone mentioned that Kubota had something that would work, but I tried several Kubota reps with no luck.

So I'm struggling to find an engine to fit this stump grinder. I've seen a few that I might be able to modify to fit, but the Diahatsu is very small for a 34HP and most of the engines I've seen are much bigger and twice as heavy. If there are nay engineer types out there, the diahatsu is 196 lbs., most of the engines that have the power I need are in the 400 lb range. There is room to get them into the frame and seated, but I'm wondering if the added weight will be a problem. The engine sits on the hydraulic boom the lifts and lowers the cutting wheel. If anyone has ever replaced the engine in a 352 vermeer, what engine did you use?

Back