Vermeer 625 chipper - help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreesFall

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm evaluating a used 625 for possible purchase. Any tips on the best way to get the cutter engaged without stalling the motor?

Any specific items on this chipper that are known to be problematic?

Found this video on the startup and clutch engagement.

How do I evaluate the condition of the blades?

The least of your concerns should be the knives. They are a wear item, inexpensive to sharpen, and not too bad new. I'd be a lot more concerned about the engine. Listen for knocks, do a compression test, look for smoke. These little Kohlers see a lot of strain in a chipper. Check the infeed wheel, should have sharp edges where it bites the wood. Start it up, get the disc up to speed, then disengage clutch and shut of motor. Listen to disc bearings as it free wheels. Should not make any excessive noise. These are pretty reliable but generally unpopular due to their low power and poorly designed single feed wheel that struggles to pull much of anything. If all you use it for is pruning might work ok

I greased all the pulleys and the rpm of the feed roller jumped up dramatically. It almost seems to fast. Is there am adjustment for this?

Back