Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Vermeer 630A - one mans junk, is another mans treasure

Discussion in 'Arborist 101' started by tompands, Oct 2, 2016.

1. tompands

tompands ArboristSite Lurker

I just dragged this thing out of the bushes. He wanted $1500- I gave him $1400. Too much? or a good deal? Don't Know. He said it's been sitting for 4 years. The engine spins over and the wheel was down in the dirt. Thank god I have a winch mounted to my trailer. Got it home- put the correct battery in it and the starter immediately engaged. Checked the wiring and found they had the starter solenoid wired wrong. Fixed that issue. Replace one tire that was shot. pressure washed it and that's where I'm at. Can't find the serial number anywhere on the machine. For the engine or the machine itself. Machine has been painted a lot. I'm sure I have to replace the bearings on the wheel and maybe the wheel also among other things. The guy was trying to start it and he said he wasn't getting any spark. With the way they had the solenoid wired I think that was one of his problems. While removing the dist cap and checking for spark, he lost the rotor. I've looked for tune up parts for this thing but I don't know what to buy because I can't identify this Wisconsin engine. I'm not sure if it's a 30hp or 35hp, points or electronic or even what distributor it has. I called Vermeer and they immediately ask for a serial number-the guy wasn't very helpful-he wanted pictures which I didn't have at the time-he kind of immediately pissed me off. I know I'm wanting to replace all belts, probably the bearings on the wheel and maybe the wheel. Is there aftermarket parts or is it better to just go to Vermeer? Looking for a little guidance on this.. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I'm going to try and post some pictures --don't know if I'm that talented.

Attached Files:

• sg9.png
      sg9.png
      File size:
      570.4 KB
      Views:
    • sg6.png
      sg6.png
      File size:
      591.1 KB
      Views:
    • sg8.png
      sg8.png
      File size:
      578.1 KB
      Views:
  2. northmanlogging

northmanlogging The gyppo's gyppo

bearings and belts try a google search for bearing sales local, probably where vermeer got em originally, napa can ptobably get most belts and the wisconsin parts.

as far as the wheel and cutters? no idear...

serial number for motor should be stamped into the case somewhere and not covered with sheet metal, likely a thick layer of ick though.

machine should have a plate rivited on somewhere out of the way but easily seen

3. tompands

We have a bearing supply here, I'll have to check with them. I already called napa, I know the manager personally, they can only get SOME Wisconsin parts. I didn't ask him about the belts but will. I've looked on this machine everywhere-underneath, on all sides, on all frame members, it's beginning to make me think this thing was a STOLEN unit at one point in it's life. I've seen it before. The guy I got it from said he owned it for 10 years but that don't mean nothing. I'm going to call Vermeer today and get a little more involved in the search- it's got to have an engraved serial number somewhere in the frame- under all this paint-but where?

4. Griff93

Griff93 ArboristSite Operative

Vh4d is what that looks like. The motor code was on that metal label riveted to the fan shroud.

SeMoTony likes this.
  5. tompands

I finally found the serial number and called Vermeer in Iowa. I found out it's a 1984 model and the motor is a VH4D. They are sending me manuals. The one thing they couldn't tell me is if this is an early/late model 630A. Supposedly they changed production of the 630A in the early 80's. It was basically the same machine-they just changed the pullys and made some other minor changes to it. This is where the difference occurred with the 4 individual belts vs the 1 main drive belt. I guess I'll wait for the manuals- maybe they will tell me something.

6. Mark630a

Mark630a ArboristSite Lurker

Where did you find the serial number?
    I'm in the same boat.

7. tompands

there was a metal tag on the frame , right under the battery, facing forward, 10 coats of paint on it. mine turned out to be a 1983 model, the serial number is only 4 digits. I called Vermeer customer service in Iowa and they verified it for me. Good Luck.

8. Mark630a

Thanks! Same thing with the paint here. Some brake parts cleaner and a wire brush cleaned it up. very much appreciated

9. tompands

you don't know where to find a belt guard for one of these machines, do you?

10. Mark630a

I don't right now, but I'll check and post if I find one. There a bunch of these around here at one time.

11. jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom It was a beautiful day!

30hp seems weak for that stumper, being a tow behind,
    I have a 672 with a 77hp Duetz diesel, our little Dosko has a 20hp Honda, and our Carlton SP2000 has a 30hp Kohler,,
    a 30hp tow behind seems wierd.
    Jeff

12. Mark630a

30 is what they have, this pic was from tonight

Attached Files:

13. tompands

actually , I talked to Vermeer in Orlando today and they say it's a 35HP engine , not 30. But anyway, I did the electronic conversion on the distributor today and she fired right up, runs like a top. I put the FLAME THROWER module and coil on it- new set of plugs and it did just what they said it would do. Now that I know the motor runs I'll be on to other things. I'm going to change all hoses and belts (found dual belts for $20 ea) , new teeth, and go from there. I might even put the 11th coat of paint on it.

jr27236 and SeMoTony like this.
  14. tompands

don't be hate'in our 630A's

jefflovstrom likes this.
  15. tompands

that would be great if you could find one -I'd really appreciate that

16. Mark630a

Thete are two complete machines on craigslist her right now, both in the $3k range. The belt guard wouldn't be too hard to fab if you had too. Two bends on the big piece and one on the second. Two welds and three holes to bolt it up after that.

17. tompands

Could you possibly send me some pics of yours

18. Mark630a

Absolutely, can do it over the weekend. I'll get measurements too. Still may be able to find you one off an old machine.

19. jefflovstrom

LOL, just saying,,,,
    a 35hp tow behind is kinda weird,,,,
    don't hate me, but my little Dosko would kick it's ass,
    Jeff :cool:

20. jefflovstrom

Good luck.
    Jeff