Vermeer SC352 stump grinder cutter wheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ofscar Nurse

Reaction score
ive got a sc352 with a bad seal in the lower gar box for the cutter wheel. I will attach pics. I'm just not sure how to remove the collar to replace the seal. Any help would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
You'll need something like a gear puller to remove that plate. Once you have that off, remove the (metric) bolts on the plate behind it. The seal will come off with that plate, and then it's simply a matter of removing it with a pick or a screwdriver, and seating the new seal in with a mallet, and reversing the process. You should also replace the oil in the gearbox at this time. Here's a cross-section of what you should be looking at. Part 15 is the seal.

Attachments

• sc352.PNG
    sc352.PNG
    53.4 KB · Views: 26
ive got a sc352 with a bad seal in the lower gar box for the cutter wheel. I will attach pics. I'm just not sure how to remove the collar to replace the seal. Any help would be appreciated!!
That plate is on a taper and needs the puller wound up as tight as you can get it then smack the end of the puller with a large hammer. The plate will come off the shaft at a fair rate of knots so make sure you stand to one side as it usually hits you in the shins or wedding tackle. I have replaced the seal many times and it always works. Place a piece of steel with a countersink over the end of the shaft for your puller to work against otherwise you will wreck the thread.

Back