vermont casting vigilant 6" pipe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstokes8407

Reaction score
Hi guys just aquired a vc vigilant stove, my old stove is a 6 inch double walled pipe to 6 inch trippled wall pipe and the vigilant stove says 8 inch oval to 8 inch round can use a 8 inch oval 2 6inch round adaper ? do i have to change everything over 2 8 inch ? what are my pros and cons ? will this cause problems ? i’m a newbee so go easy thanks

You are never supposed to 'downsize' the chimney compared to the stove. IE... it's OK to put a 6" stove on an 8" chimney... NOT OK to put an 8" stove on a 6" chimney.

What's the small size of the oval?

6" round pipe has a cross-sectional area of 28.27in². (PI x D²/4)

An equivalent size oval is 8" x 4.5". (PI x A x B... where A = large radius, B = small radius).

Unless your oval is 8"x4.5" (or smaller), you shouldn't be using that stove with that chimney.

You'll be fine. The engineering of the original Vigilant was for an 8" flue, correct. We used one for years on a 6" flue with restrictions.

1. No open door "fireplace" fires.

2. Be sure when top loading (the only way for this stove that makes sense) that the air is wide open, and that you have a hot fire when reloading. Normal for most wood stoves anyhow.

3. Your 6" flue has got to be straight and strong. No possible backdrafts, downdrafts, or angled pipes with the exception of a rear exit, but top exit preferred. Long enough also to draw well. You can borrow a tool to measure draft from any HVAC or chimney guy.

Try it out first. Then you can always spend the $$$ to change to the 8' flue.

P.S. Stoves need to match the flue draft. NOT OK to upsize, since it will decrease the draft. It's why when retrofitting a wood stove to a fireplace chimney, a lining is usually needed to decrease the flue size as one reason.

Agree with above 'try it first.

We downsized a Defiant to 6" for a while, but decided rather safe than sorry

If and when you get too much smoke and it backpuffs, that can be a pretty impressive experience

Never did come close to dangerous situation, but did see top load cover dislodged.

As noted; straight good draft and always dry wood, no smolder, probably no problem

But remember about insurance never paying fire damage as well as other safety considerations noted above before you decide

As a pretty worthless after thought...maybe 'acquiring' 8' in stove not such a good idea if forced to use 6' chimney or replace $$$ it

Good luck whatever you decide

I have down sized my chimney for 4 years and it works just fine.

I have about a 25-30 foot vertical run so it gets a great draft. Like I said, never an issue....even after not cleaning it at all the year before.

And if you do decide to change, I'd swap out the stove and leave the chimney! It's a bigger pain to restack all that pipe and cut a bigger hole in the wall/ceiling. Put the old one on Craigslist and get one with a 6" output.

I have down sized my chimney for 4 years and it works just fine.

I have about a 25-30 foot vertical run so it gets a great draft. Like I said, never an issue....even after not cleaning it at all the year before.

And if you do decide to change, I'd swap out the stove and leave the chimney! It's a bigger pain to restack all that pipe and cut a bigger hole in the wall/ceiling. Put the old one on Craigslist and get one with a 6" output.

You goof are a bad bad boy not cleaning your chimney for a year. Time out time.

Good suggestion to swap out the stove ! :clap: Flue installations are most of the PITA to the install.
Besides, as good as the Vigilant WAS, it still is old technology. EPA stoves since 1989, especially the catalytic ones, WILL give you more heat for less wood (we found it ~ 1/3 less), AND burn cleaner so you could leave that flue for another year. :givebeer:

I know...I'm a bad wood burner...but it seemed it was raining every saturday morning or I was stuck in a tree strying to shoot bambi! And since I never did shoot Bambi, I should have cleaned my stove!!

I know...I'm a bad wood burner...but it seemed it was raining every saturday morning or I was stuck in a tree strying to shoot bambi! And since I never did shoot Bambi, I should have cleaned my stove!!

ATT: Highjacked post notice.

You may try bear....no tree stand needed. Just drop stale donuts on ground. Stand behind said tree. Shoot Yogi. Plenty meat.

Amazing...no references to what the code says.....just a bunch of hear say...
Go to the owners manual and follow it.

Now now CK will you lighten up. Codes have nothing to do with flue sizing. That "hear say" is more like: "been there done that" . Reality check. Experience. In fact, a "bunch" of experience---most good some not. Codes are a whole other bunch of specs for safety, not effective burning. In fact, often codes are a bureaucratic CYA with nothing to do with safety. It is indeed amazing.

Yes, the stove manuals do spec for a specific flue sizing. Majority of EPA wood stoves now spec 6" flues. Those engineering specs are for worst case scenario user, not for we who try, often succeed, sometimes screw up royally. No harm. No deaths. You learn often by trying something out of the box. Amazing.:monkey:

JMNSHO

PS You hunt bear ?

Last edited:

CK:
I'm not sure I am following you

Are you suggesting that you have knowledge of a code anywhere in US that would allow downsizing to 6" when as the poster stated, the vigilant comes only with 8" outlet and his manual says use 8' flu .??

Regards and really neat avatar

CK:
I'm not sure I am following you
Are you suggesting that you have knowledge of a code anywhere in US that would allow downsizing to 6" when as the poster stated, the vigilant comes only with 8" outlet and his manual says use 8' flu .??
Regards and really neat avatar

Please do not consider an 8' flue.......it will be contrary to any code in this world. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

PS Do YOU hunt bear ?

I had my stove inspected by the building department after installation with the reducer on it. They passed it. Not saying they are well versed in wood stoves, but they are not the type to pass anything if it is in question (they are very anal about things...to a fault) and like I said, my draft is great being that the chimney runs from the basement to 6 foot above my second floor roof line.

Please do not consider an 8' flue.......it will be contrary to any code in this world. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

PS Do YOU hunt bear ?

OOOOPS...first mistake for today

Often I think I might be wrong, but then realize I am mistaken

THX for catch and laugh at myself (again)

There's a reason they make 6 to 8 / 8 to 6 adaptors :)

Stint We downsized a Defiant to 6" for a while, but decided rather safe than sorry
If and when you get too much smoke and it backpuffs, that can be a pretty impressive experience

I sold a Vermont Casting's Acclaim after using it for 10 years, for this very reason. 6" stove, 6" flue, with great draft. When it worked right, it was great. But if the fire wasn't hot enough, or not enough coals covering the back air outlet, or the internal damper gasket wasn't sealing right, it would puff. And the smell of smoke that lingered in the house was wonderful;)

I am now the very happy owner of a Jotul F118. Which in two years has never 'poofed', never smoked when door open, burns less wood, puts out as much heat, doesn't have parts that need replacing, easier to operate, does not make the wife mad. Price of all this? Priceless :D

Last edited:
Back