Very large trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethg79

Reaction score
Our power company dropped a willow that was over 50 years old in our backyard this winter, and my husband and I need to cut the trunk up so we can get rid of it. The problem is the main trunk - the diameter is much larger than our chainsaw, and there is simply no way to roll this behemoth over.

Neither of us is comfortable with trying a larger saw. Is it safe to rip into the trunk, then down both perpendicular and parallel to the trunk, to create quarters?

To be perfectly honest, it sounds you need to call in a pro to handle this. While not rocket science, the techniques needed to bore in and chunk out a large tree have their dangers.

Quartering a log is definitely possible. It is also definitely not an operation for amateur operators or equipment. I agree that this is something that needs hired out. The bigger question, though, is why did the power company not clean up their mess?

If you are uncomfortable with a larger saw, yu should be even MORE uncomfortable with boring and ripping. Ripping is best done with a different chain also.
madhatte's comment on the power company is well put, call your power company and tell them their crew left a mess and forgot to come back to clean it up.

I'll refrain from providing details of 'old times' techniques involving drills and explosives, probably illegal in NY?

RE: simply no way to roll this behemoth - there is a tool called a peavey , also cables and come along, etc. 50 YO is how big?

Beth,

A picture would be very helpful, btw. Is this a trunk piece or a stump? Diameter? A photo would answer many questions at once. :)

I'll try to be more helpful with my concern. Once the tip of the chainsaw is buried in wood, the top corner can catch and cause what is called "kickback." Kickback flips the saw around its axis and can strike you with a running chain - with the predictably bad result. Kickback is the number one reason people are hurt with chainsaws. It is a manageable risk with the correct technique and proper safety equipment. And of course, lots of people learn how to do this work safely, including many posting here. You can too, it's just a matter of studying the many good educational information now available online, use of safety gear, and practice.
Husqvarna has mercifully ignored all of its lawyers and put up a series of great training videos on youtube. Here is one:

I fully understand the desire to DIY this. Just make sure you have a modern saw in good working order. The new (to me) saws have both a chain brake lever as well as an inertia activation that should activate in the event of a kickback event. You'll want to make sure those work. And like knives and axes, a sharp chain is the safest. And please buy and wear the safety gear. There is no shortage of users that can testify to how something like chaps or hardhat saved them - including my best friend.

With all that, cutting wood is work, but enjoyable, worthwhile work. We just want to see you do it safely and not get surprised in a bad way. And it may be that if you don't have some of the safety gear, it may well be cheaper just to get someone to block it out and haul it if the utility company won't do the right thing.

Thank you all for your replies, this is really helpful! We do know a guy who we can pay to cut it up for us, we just really didn't want to bug him.

Nyseg does not authorize it's arborist to deal with the trunks I'm afraid...they do this all over the area. My town allows us to borrow a truck whenever we need ti haul wood or brush away, we just need to be able to get it to the front yard.

They were the ones who caused the issue, they have been shaving the side of this willow every 3 years, carpenter ants moved in and it was pretty much dead. Then they went after the ash tree behind it, also just as old, and limbed it all the way around, not just on the south side, and only left about 10% crown. We were ticked, and threw a fit, so they chopped them both down and left it all in the backyard. And they also damaged one of our birches at the same time.

We do have a brand new chainsaw, got it just for the purpose of cutting the ash down so we can use it for firewood.

What I loved about this was that they were nice enough to cut down most of the small trunks into nice splitting-size chunks. That part I can do!!

Thank you all for your replies, this is really helpful! We do know a guy who we can pay to cut it up for us, we just really didn't want to bug him.

Nyseg does not authorize it's arborist to deal with the trunks I'm afraid...they do this all over the area. My town allows us to borrow a truck whenever we need ti haul wood or brush away, we just need to be able to get it to the front yard.

They were the ones who caused the issue, they have been shaving the side of this willow every 3 years, carpenter ants moved in and it was pretty much dead. Then they went after the ash tree behind it, also just as old, and limbed it all the way around, not just on the south side, and only left about 10% crown. We were ticked, and threw a fit, so they chopped them both down and left it all in the backyard. And they also damaged one of our birches at the same time.

We do have a brand new chainsaw, got it just for the purpose of cutting the ash down so we can use it for firewood.

What I loved about this was that they were nice enough to cut down most of the small trunks into nice splitting-size chunks. That part I can do!!

I am going to post this thread in the NY GTG thread. Maybe somebody can here can help you out. Good luck.

Sorry, busy night!

I don't know why I said NYSEG, I meant National Grid. Niagara Mohawk was bought out by them years ago.

As much as I was worried, turns out my husband has no fear. He took the day off from work and cut it into smaller pieces. On his own. With no one there to call 911. Luckily he was unharmed.

I recall logging a bush on the Niagara Escarpment. It was at a cisino Mohawk Raceway hwy 6 off the 401.
Anyway, I used the parking lot as a landing. Paid 10G's for 30 Rock Maple. They were tapped, but were bought anyway because they were 50% sapwood.

Back