Video: Felling a Tulip tree with a strange buttress trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekka

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
These trees always have a wierd buttress style trunk.

You have to think a bit of where to notch them, this one was great, lined up well and the pull rope was offset 30 degrees to compensate for the wind.

Just proves you dont have to have the pull rope in the same plane as the notch.

Around 3mins and 15mb wmv

http://www.palmtreeservices.com.au/video/tuliptree.wmv

Wow man, that is so cool. nice shot of it falling. But why did they have to cut it down, it was a nice looking tree in a nice place. Looked healthy too. One more thing, I have traveled all around the world and met many many people, always looked forward to meeting aussies. Friendly and always willing to go out and have a goood time. Here's to ya, mate!:cheers:

I agree it was a nice tree, we cut down about 50 trees all around the house.

The guy is a Paulownia tree farmer, he has over 6000 of them.

A lot we cut down were shading his crop. This guy has large invasive surface roots and although IMO was far enough from the house it was lifting the bitumin driveway.

He also is on clay base and was concerned about subsidence from the roots.

I'm on your side for that tree but I can also see his point.

Tulip trees are an imported tree and on the undesirable list here anyway .... but it doesn't mean that they should be wholesale cut down.

Having a good time is what it's all about, especially at work, I avoid the really **** jobs these days.

Just Wanted to Say thx Eric......

Way cool im hopin to get some good shots soon i do alot of palms my self (mostly trim but they are everywhere u can imagine)pride my self on quality work and safety(although dont use much ppe just my style n got marks to show im a dumb a## fer it) but quality work you do and hope i can come down some time n check it out looks like a great place to live n work.Oh n keep makin the vids they are awsome bud we need more out there like you happy fellin and always be safe

Nice fell Ekka:bowdown:
Do you know the genus/species of that thing?
Down here what we know as a Tulip Tree is Liriodendron tulipifera.
In the clip it didnt like one of them though, but common names vary.
Maybe i just couldnt see it well enough but they are bare at the moment in Melbourne anyway, they look similar to a Liquiambar.

Here you go. It's common name is African Tulip Tree.

http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&state=&s=&ibra=all&card=E01

http://gvcocks.homeip.net/PlantFamilies/Bignoniaceae/Spathodea/spathodea_campanulata.htm

It's wood is light, almost like balsa weight wise. Smokes when burned, good for nothing really.

Hey Trev, it's not me, I'm not bidding on anything on ebay, in fact I'm not even registered! Must be another Ekka around .... Trev, was like 26C today, no wind, clear blue skies and I went thru 2L of water! haha :cheers:

Thats funny, i were looking at this winch thinking "I'm sure i could use that in tree work somehow" and then i see this "Ekka" bidding on it and thought it must be you thinking the same thing.

6 degrees this morning and only got up to about 12

nice job

Looked good.

I think most of us haven't seen anything like that.
Only possible exception is a regular round tree that has enough rot or burn scars to mimic that irregular base.

beowulf343 said:
Nice job! Just curious-any reason why you made your notch and backcut chest high? I prefer mine lower.

Err, coz I'm used to it.

When working in trees and blocking down you're always cutting around that ht so you get comfortable with it.

Also, it leaves a decent bottom chunk for the miniloader to pick up, not some half sized log.

Also, the buttress style trunk was more pronounced lower.

Hope that helps.

Oh, we dont really log or sell timber so low notches and humbolts are rarely seen in urban felling here. When doing palms you'll often see me cutting 1.5m up from the ground coz that's the size needed for the loader to grab and fit in the truck etc .... so that last base cut is spot on for length.

nice job

ekka, cool video and a job well done! i noticed that on your face cut the bottom angle was a 0 degree cut instead of the normal 30 degree or so was this intentionall cut to make the tree snap off when it was falling? i believe you were pulling with a vehicle....that would make sense. again very well done video as usual!
-mike

The bottom of the notch was flat, a traditional notch.

I think that you guys use the Humbolt a lot more coz of logging.

Occasionally I use it, sometimes both like a big wide "V".

But generally, it's the standard flat bottom notch around here.

Does that answer your question?

Err, coz I'm used to it.

When working in trees and blocking down you're always cutting around that ht so you get comfortable with it.

Also, it leaves a decent bottom chunk for the miniloader to pick up, not some half sized log.

i also cut mine high shortens length of drop and saves the back and bendin to run away lol

Ekka said:
The bottom of the notch was flat, a traditional notch.

I think that you guys use the Humbolt a lot more coz of logging.

Occasionally I use it, sometimes both like a big wide "V".

But generally, it's the standard flat bottom notch around here.

Does that answer your question?

yup, i am also pretty sure that you use that because of the different varietys of trees you cut...how well do the tulips and palms hold a hinge???

Latest posts

Back