view from the tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a general rule the wife and daughter eat two ears apiece and I eat the rest 12 to 16 ears for me!! And it does take a lot of butter and salt for me. These are a couple of the little gadgets that we use to butter the ears with, they hold a half a stick of butter each and I use 2 of them. Will get pics. of the cooking process when it is ready. ( I can't wait ):surprised3:

Thanks,
" Silver Queen " I have planted it for years, everybody, myself included, seem to like the white corn better than the bi-color or yellow. I would like to try some super sweet but the seed is to high for me to buy lbs. of it.
we have them little butter gizmos too. best thing since sliced bread. sweet corn seed prices have gone through the roof. i don't plant the supersweets because the seed is to fragile for my old plate planter. the SE & SY are my favorite. the white i plant is silver duchess. it is a big improvement over silver queen but it is a lot sweeter and holds better after picking. my customers take bi-color or yellow over the white but i still sell it.

we have them little butter gizmos too. best thing since sliced bread. sweet corn seed prices have gone through the roof. i don't plant the supersweets because the seed is to fragile for my old plate planter. the SE & SY are my favorite. the white i plant is silver duchess. it is a big improvement over silver queen but it is a lot sweeter and holds better after picking. my customers take bi-color or yellow over the white but i still sell it.

Don't think I have seen any silver duchess around here, where do you get the seed at? I might try some next year. How does the seed size compare to silver queen for seed plate sizing? I can use a B7-24x for the silver queen most years. with the exception of last year when the plates were cracking to many seeds because of the extreme size difference.

Don't think I have seen any silver duchess around here, where do you get the seed at? I might try some next year. How does the seed size compare to silver queen for seed plate sizing? I can use a B7-24x for the silver queen most years. with the exception of last year when the plates were cracking to many seeds because of the extreme size difference.
seedway and seigers seeds sell it. probably others. seed size varies year to year on most varieties i plant. mostly large flats or large rounds i use an old ford 309 planter and only have a limited # of plates. i usually request lg flats or rounds when i order but they are not always available.

seedway and seigers seeds sell it. probably others. seed size varies year to year on most varieties i plant. mostly large flats or large rounds i use an old ford 309 planter and only have a limited # of plates. i usually request lg flats or rounds when i order but they are not always available.

Thanks, Do they have a website I can check out? Like to get some idea of prices. As long as the seeds are pretty uniform in size I can find a plate that would work.

planting fall cole crops 7/12/16. about 1200 plants. cabbage,broccoli, brussel sprouts and cauliflower.
20160712_160915_resized.jpg
20160712_181120_resized.jpg

Looking good! But where are all the rocks, As I do not see any! And I mean I see none!!! ( sorry 1 really small one )

UPS. delivers to Virginia you know. :lol:
i picked up about a 1/2 bucket full between disking and rototilling and i could probably pick another 1/2 bucketful.

I finally got some sweet corn up. Last night we had a real turd floater and now most of the corn is laying over. I got a chore ahead of me today. I think it need to grow upright. :msp_biggrin:

I've had corn blow over from time to time after bad storms. In the past, I've worked hard in pulling them all back up into vertical position and mounding up soil around the base to help hold them there. But I've also observed that they'll pull themselves back up into vertical anyway, just give 'em a week or so. I'm talking here about corn maybe tilting at 45 degrees or more. If it's all the way almost down on the ground, then I can't see them coming back on their own without help. Here in TN we've been having a lot of fierce storms blowing through causing hail and wind damage. I've been lucky so far and have only been on the edge of these storms instead of in them, just getting some good rain instead.

i plant several varieties of bi-color which is my biggest seller and 1 each of yellow and white. not much white. took a few rounds till i could get a pic of a straight furrow.:laugh:

I thot u just set the tractor on GPS Auto... ! :cool:

how many horse is ur tractor and what speeds do u till, cultivate in? 2 or 3 High? or Med range?

Yeah. Not sure why I thought you had a huge (like several thousand acres) farm.

I am sure at times that truck farm more than feels like several thousand acres... omg, amberg... can u imagine... farmer steve off to market with 250 acres of asparagus???? 400 acres of carrots... and 750 acres sweet corn.... :laughing: omg; lol ;)

View attachment 499435 first patches for 2016. planted bi-color and white. kinda hard to drive straight and take pics at the same time. if you look hard in the picture of the trees you see a deer laying there. guess she's waiting on the sweet corn to grow.:cry:View attachment 499433 the brown strip to the right of the planter is asparagus.

thanks for sharing... nice u circled the deer.... must be a smart deer... lol... know where the grass is greener! yep, she says... over at farmer steve's...

supposed to get some rain here the next day or so. the NH tractor is covered with dust from disking yesterday. the weather guys are saying possible t-storms friday. i cut some asparagus today and it's pushing up big chunks of ground.

I bot some asparagus today. $1.94 for a real nice bundle. smaller diam stalks. not like last I got. and it was still sweet. wonder how these will be? will cook tomorrow...

Man FS, you said this thread was moving slow. Every time I look it's turning new ground, both literally and the learning for a suburbanite like me.I have pictures of the gardens I tilled last yr, but I have never planted much of anything.I wonder if any of those parts would be available up here.

I agree there chipster! I can hold up my R thumb and proudly say, he** no! that's not green paint... lol, but I like seeing the larger scale gardening such as farmer steve and amberg do... most of what I am learning is glad I don't have to manage all that. I got enuff to do with cattle and my place... lol

Back